New to me saw..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2010
Southington CT
Well I guess I should never go out with money in my pocket...

b76c296d.jpg

I picked it up for 165.

Too bad the guy at the pawnshop nearly ripped his arm off because he didn't know how to start it.

I cleaned it up tightened up the chain put some good gas in it and it sings....

I think i'll have a shop give it the once over but for now I really like it

Decent looking saw.

Why can't I run into deals like that????

WOOHOO!!!
Congrats on the 026!!! All the speed of the newer 260 but without the flippy cap silliness.

Looks well taken care of. Compression good?

Yes! love mine, but despise the flippy caps....... have a feeling I'm going to break the oiler one again soon.

Dont need a shop if its running good.

Good deal
I see many future cords of wood :)

Pull the muffler and put an eyeball in the piston and wha you can see of the cylinder.
If all is good, check compression, and if it's over 120+ you're good for a while.

Pop the clutch cover, and check the clutch bearing for play, and the clutch for wear, Rim for wear, clean it all up, slap a loop of RSC on it, and go cut wood.
Keep the ears tuned for a possible air leak like you would with any older saw, and simply try to wear it out. LOL!!

Dingeryote said:
Pull the muffler and put an eyeball in the piston and wha you can see of the cylinder.
If all is good, check compression, and if it's over 120+ you're good for a while.

Pop the clutch cover, and check the clutch bearing for play, and the clutch for wear, Rim for wear, clean it all up, slap a loop of RSC on it, and go cut wood.
Keep the ears tuned for a possible air leak like you would with any older saw, and simply try to wear it out. LOL!!

Pulling the muffler doesn't sound to hard....

I would have to buy a compression where to get that???

but the Clutch that seems like something I could mess up..

And what is RSC right now the only chain i have been very familiar with is Rapco Carbide
Chain from the fire house

holland_patrick said:
Well I guess I should never go out with money in my pocket...

I picked it up for 165.

Too bad the guy at the pawnshop nearly ripped his arm off because he didn't know how to start it.

I cleaned it up tightened up the chain put some good gas in it and it sings....

I think i'll have a shop give it the once over but for now I really like it
Excellent! My all-time favorite saw.

You don't really need a comp tester.... If there is good resistance when pulling the rope and it cuts well and holds rpm in the cut, then you have good compression.

My comp tester broke a while back and I haven't found a need to replace it. If I need a compression number when selling a saw, I just head to advanced auto and tell them the piece of crap they sold me broke and I need to borrow one for a couple pulls.

If you do decide to purchase one, make sure it has a shraeder valve in the tip.

Ya can't mess up the clutch. Just pull the E-clip and washer, pull the rim sprocket, and the clutch drum will slide off. Clean the gunk outta there and eyeball it.
If the little cage bearing is dry, push a little blob of grease into it, wipe out the inside of the clutch drum and reassemble. They're made to be easy peasey and field manageable using just a scrench.
If the rim sprocket is worn, they only cost about 5 bucks to replace, bearings are like 3 bucks.

RSC is Stihl round chisel. Cuts a LOT faster than Rapco in wood, but wont put up with dirty wood and nails LOL!!
Should be a buck an inch or less. Your Stihl dealer will hook you up with the proper files and such as well.

Check the spark arrestor screen on the muffler while you're at it. They get clogged from time to time.

Good luck to ya!!

holland_patrick said:
smokinjay said:
Dont need a shop if its running good.

well being i'm not very mechanically inclined I would like a trained eye to look at it some time.

I know i'll be getting a new chain though...

any suggesttions?

Rsc is really good..Keep your air filter clean good gas and your off to the races.

OK I'll let you guys know what happened..

I got the new chain and tore apart everything like you told me to..

things looked mighty clean but there is always more to clean as I found out

The bearing looked to have no grease on it.

to cleaned and greased everything went back together and my Father in Law and I tackled some wood i dropped off to him earlier in the year.

He has a great respect for the chainsaw so i let him do the cutting while i did the heavy moving of the cut rounds.

He has two 011 and one monster Homelight and he sais my 026 was a pleasure to use and it cut like a monster. I did get to make a few cuts with it and man it does cut really good..

I'm glad I found her.

Now to get a 20 inch bar and have some fun with a few big rounds my FiL has from a wind storm that hit last year

Nice find, good price, looks like its in good shape too. I love mine! One thing I did though was the muffler mod and swapped the fixed jet intellicarb with a WT-194 fully adjustable carb. Runs even better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.