New to me stacking method

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oak4life

Nov 5, 2014
upstate ny
Hey everybody just wanted to say hello and I love reading all the great information that's here. You guys are a wealth of information.
Has anybody ever tried this before? Those uprights are 8ft tall. Not sure about going to the top but loving the single row stacking method. I get full sun all day and lots of wind so we shall see how long it takes for that oak to dry out.
0b49ea96f454b564b81fce156bed4608.jpg

This is an excellent way to stack firewood, I use the same design but I only stack around 5' high. That's some serious weight on those landscape timbers already and I'm concerned if you went up to 8' she might come crashing down on you someday. If you added one more cinder block I think you'd be ok.

Last edited:
This is an excellent way to stack firewood, I use the same design but I only stack around 5' high. That's some serious weight on those landscape timbers already and I'm concerned if you went up to 8' she might come crashing down on you someday. If you added 2 more cinder blocks I think you'd be ok.
The best method I've found 7 feet is a good height the stacks will not fall over ,4x4's treated work great but pricey.Add an extra cinder block,$1.40 at menards will take all the weight you can load on it. The racks go together in minutes.

What do you guys think about concreted 4x4's at either end for uprights? Wonder if I could make one long run maybe about 25' or so.

What do you guys think about concreted 4x4's at either end for uprights? Wonder if I could make one long run maybe about 25' or so.

That works great. A guy I split with has cemented in 4x4s and uses pavers or some other landscape block as a base. He stacks 6 feet high and they are solid as a rock. It's a really nice look but just make sure you want them there because it's gonna be a groan to move. He's been stacking in the same spots for years.

Reactions: oak4life
It would be easy to run chain or thick cable between uprights to counter the outward forces.

This method works well but I wouldn't go any higher. They get too tipsy when tall. The first one I tried fell over when the frost came out of the ground in the spring. Also, I have heard people report the side of the end blocks blowing out from the stress put on them by the uprights, lots of leverage there

I am using the same set up, but I am not going any higher than 5 feet. With children or pets playing in the area, you don't want to take any risks. Higher=Wider=More weight.

I am using the same set up, but I am not going any higher than 5 feet. With children or pets playing in the area, you don't want to take any risks. Higher=Wider=More weight.
Yea, I have the same concern with 2 small kids. My son likes climbing on my piles, but I only stack 4 feet high on skids so they are stable.

I've added on several times to my rack and currently it's 120' long. This design was my only option since I don't have much of a yard but I did have the space to single stack next to my neighbor's fence. I'm just about out of real estate and might be able to add 10 more feet then that's it. Should total around 7 cord at that point. I made 2x4 vertical dividers every 10', wedged them in the cinder blocks with large shims. Makes the rack more stable I believe and easier to seperate species. image.jpg

Somebody has been busy!
I have a row like that but it is just one continuous row, well, 2 rows wide.

It feels awesome to get that stacked! Still have more rounds to take care of but at least this stuff is stacked. I am exhausted though.

That trailer is made by polar. It's the best money I have ever spent. Put a ton of wood in there. I can put 3 rows of 18" splits going from front to back.
This is where I bought it if you wanna look around.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/polar-trailer-22-cu-ft-atv-trailer-8233/0000000001656
There is also YouTube videos about it and northern tool also has it. The reviews that were on northern tool really swayed me. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a wood hauler.

Does that metal attachment on top of the trailer come with it? May be my next garden tractor attachment looks solid and weighs 127 lbs

That trailer is awesome,Lowes has them,kind of hate to retire the old Rubbermaid but it's served me well,the log rack is an add on extra.

Does that metal attachment on top of the trailer come with it? May be my next garden tractor attachment looks solid and weighs 127 lbs
I know it's hard to see in the picture but the extension above almost doubles the quantity you can put in the trailer. Very solid trailer all the way around.

Here is what I use...made from pallets and a few 2X4's

Status
Not open for further replies.