New to pellet stoves and need advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt8281

Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2010
Delton, MI
Hello, I'm looking into purchasing a US Stove 5510. I've done some research on here and is wondering some expert thoughts on this stove.

Seth

First of all, read this from the Webmaster about asking "what stove should i buy", or asking if a certain stove is good:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/13750_22/

US Stoves have become more "mainstream" on this forum lately, but you have to take into account your budget for the stove, pipe, install costs, etc, and more important, if you have problems, will the dealer be able to help?

If I was going to buy a stove with computers, snap disks, vacuum switches, multiple fans and motors that was designed to use fire in my house as a heat source, I wouldn't buy one unless it was from an expert with a good reputation that would be always ready to help me with parts service and/or advice.

I agree on the advice given, but that is what I want to hear is "Word of mouth" from the people who own this stove or stoves in this price range.
If I'm spending money on a very expensive candle I would like to know.
I'm more into hearing the people that own the lower price stoves how they like them and if they are good deals to grab.
Thanks for the warning.

Seth

Shorty said:
I agree on the advice given, but that is what I want to hear is "Word of mouth" from the people who own this stove or stoves in this price range.
If I'm spending money on a very expensive candle I would like to know.

How about this: What other stove brands are available in your area? Might be easier for people here to help if they know what's available.

The only other stove in stock around me is the Summers Heat 55-SHP10L. I have witness way to many problems with the auger from my neighbor. He is on his 3 auger for his second season. If his stove is a fluke, maybe someone on hear can chime in. When that stove is running it is running great.

Seth

P.S. I'm glad this isn't a English test. I would get a F for not having the right information before I posted.

I would like to say thanks in advanced. I'm new to this forum and to all forums at that. Learning the ropes as I go.
My neighbors introduced me to this site as the site with the best of the best on it. So it is my pleasure to be able to get help
from you.

Well Shorty, since you only have 2 stoves available in your area, and you seem hesitant to try the Englander, then your only question should be how do people like the US Stove? You did a search of the stove before....what did you find out?

Personally, given the great customer service that Englander has, I'd think about one of the new Evolution pellet stoves....single auger design. Has good reviews on this forum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Timber-Ridge-55...ultDomain_0?hash=item1e5a1fdf55#ht_4672wt_941

If the US Stove breaks down, and you can't fix it, who comes to do service?

Franks said:
If I was going to buy a stove with computers, snap disks, vacuum switches, multiple fans and motors that was designed to use fire in my house as a heat source, I wouldn't buy one unless it was from an expert with a good reputation that would be always ready to help me with parts service and/or advice.
I`d feel the same way if I was selling em too.

Neighbor said he will sell me his for $200.(Summers Heat 55-SHP10L) He wants something different. I figure for the price I'll risk it.
Thanks again.

Shorty said:
The only other stove in stock around me is the Summers Heat 55-SHP10L. I have witness way to many problems with the auger from my neighbor. He is on his 3 auger for his second season. If his stove is a fluke, maybe someone on hear can chime in. When that stove is running it is running great.

Seth

P.S. I'm glad this isn't a English test. I would get a F for not having the right information before I posted.

Keep reading the different threads on this site. You`ll soon find that any brand of pellet stove can have problems eventually or at one time or another. Even the well regarded Harmans .

Shorty said:
Neighbor said he will sell me his for $200.(Summers Heat 55-SHP10L) He wants something different. I figure for the price I'll risk it.
Thanks again.

Cool. bring it home, take it apart, CLEAN EVERYTHING you can get your hands on....... take apart, or run a small vacuum hose into anything that has a hole or a cover, and then put it all back together.

When your ready, myself or someone else on here that knows Englander stoves can tell you how to do a complete control board reset back to factory settings.

BTW, I don't know if anyone asked, or you told us...have you ever used a pellet stove before?

No, I haven't used one before but I read a great deal on here about the setting in the last 3 hours.

Howdy Shorty, (feel like John Wayne suddenly) ...... The first question I have is how handy are you? Pellet stoves require some mechanical finesse at times. Are you mechanical at all ? Have an idea about electric or electronics? willing to become so? This forum can be very helpful but if you buy a stove from someplace with no setup or service dept. YOU are the the setup and service dept. US Stove, Englander, Breckwell, Napolean, and I'm sure many others can be bought on line or at a big box store for much less than what you will pay from a stove retailer. But YOU are responsible for install and diagnosis of many problems. If your not handy, for safety sake, go purchase a stove from a retailer and have it professionally installed. If you are mechanically inclined than check out doing it yourself. Just be honest with yourself. Its not worth your home or you and loved ones lives.

I bought a US Stove and have had good luck with it. A few folks here have the 5500,5510 and 6500 US Stoves and seem to be working pretty well. Hard to beat the Englanders also, many users here too. Just read your $200 Englander steal. Should be good. Get it cleaned and see what happens. Good luck with whatever you get.

Schoondog

Status
Not open for further replies.