New to pellet stoves and need help with a New england 25 PVDC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I am new to pellet stoves bought 2 of the New England's 25 pvdc used which I know was probably my first mistake to get them used actually my husbands as he is the one who insisted on used. The one is in his business and it is running great so far the one I have in my house it is very high maintenance and not working right still. It was manufactured 10/08 bought early 2009 by the previous owner and I purchased it this summer was told the only thing they ever had to do was tighten the set screw once. Well if I would have found this forum before buying my husband would not have gotten this one it looks like it was never cleaned other than the ashes so I made an appointment with a pellet tech guy to do an annual cleaning and maintenance on it which he will be here on 10/21. In the meantime it was working fine until this past weekend Saturday turned it on and bottom auger was not turning. Husband took apart pulledd top motor and auger was turning fine pulled bottom motor and auger could not be turned by hand so he removed it I vacuumed out the pellets in there and cleaned the feed tube up some with a wire brush and got a lot of the creosote out of there vacuumed again cleaned up the impingement plate wear plate and the burn pot sucked out all ashes. My husband cleaned off some of the black on the auger replaced them and swapped the motors around plugged in turned it on and it ran great. Sunday turn it on and auger is turning it is spitting out pellets gets through start up I have it set at 5 and 5 and it starts getting a real lazy flame and it looks like their is air blowing back in there blowing it out plus it has really slowed down the amount of pellets it was putting out try opening door and the flame picks back up close door same thing. let it continue and it gets no better so I press off and it goes through shut down. All the time it was doing it you could hear the 2 blowers running and they sounded fine. After it has cooled I clean burn pot and plate again make sure wholes are not blocked checked door with dollar bill gasket is good but notice of course it looks like tip of auger and impingement plate have never been cleaned clean them up start it again and same thing I called pellet tech but he is swamped and can't get to me until 10/21 but will call if he gets a cancellation but would like to use before then I will include pictures of install but it was done with all New England's piping and done to specs and pellets I am using are Somerset pellets and checked settings Low fuel feed is 6 Low Burn Air is 4 and Air on Temp is 1 so they are still at factory settings. I am hoping someone on here can help me get this going.

Attachments

• pellet stove 1.jpg
    pellet stove 1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 352
  • pellet stove 2.jpg
    pellet stove 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 325
  • pellet stove 3.jpg
    pellet stove 3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 345
I have one of these stoves 2006 with proper maintenance and cleaning they are good little stoves, Has anyone pulled off the combustion blower and cleaned it, you have to have a replacement gasket for it, you cant use the old one. it sounds like it just needs a really good cleaning. do some searching on this site (DO A 25PDVC CLEANING SEARCH) lots of info on that stove and many great forum members to help you out

Welcome to the forum, Nutty.

IMO, the lazy flame is from a dirty/plugged-up stove....combustion air can't get through the stove properly.....very typical of used stoves, as the original owners didn't know how to, or didn't bother keeping them clean...then they blame the stove for poor performance and then sell them.

The one thing that I would have done ASAP is to take the stove apart completely (preferably outside), and clean it really well. Vacuum as much as you can get to, including the ash traps. Compressed air (like from a compressor) can also be used to blow out hidden crevices.

Then re-assemble the stove, and do the leaf blower trick on it....that should get any remaining ash out.

BTW, keep the Englander tech service phone # handy. If you still can't get it to run right, try giving them a call....they have the BEST tech service in the pellet stove industry.

I think its missing the 90º under the horz. cap. Pretty sure thats the ac 3000 kit.

List of components

AC-3000 Kit Includes:
Horizontal Cap
*90 Degree Elbow*
Wall Strap
Five 1-foot Pipe Lengths
Tee with Clean-Out
Wall Thimble and Pipe Adapter

Attachments

• AC-3000PelletVentKit.jpg
    AC-3000PelletVentKit.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 309
I think that is part of the problem it didn't get very good care before we purchased it and that is why I made an appointment with a pellet tech to get it cleaned my husband's that we bought from a different person after we got this one is like immaculate it is a 2009 and the owners took really good care of it. I do have a video that came with my husbands that does show how to clean them but I think I need something more than a wire brush cause this stuff is definietly glued on there figured after it got a good cleaning I could keep it cleaned. We have not pulled off the combustion blower and I do not have a gasket yet although I did order a kit from New England site but I can hear it running and it is not making any unusal noises. I really did love this stove and will love it aain as soon as I get it running again it warms my house up really nice just need to figure out why it won't stay running.

j-takeman said:
I think its missing the 90º under the horz. cap. Pretty sure thats the ac 3000 kit.

List of components

AC-3000 Kit Includes:
Horizontal Cap
*90 Degree Elbow*
Wall Strap
Five 1-foot Pipe Lengths
Tee with Clean-Out

It is the AC-3000 Kit and no the elbow is not on there does it have to be as the guy who helped my husband install it said he was told all the elbow does it make it easier for the whole chimney to get ripped off the house when the snow comes off the roof. Could that be the problem if so I can my husband put it on.

nuttyfrom6kids said:
j-takeman said:

List of components

AC-3000 Kit Includes:
Horizontal Cap
*90 Degree Elbow*
Wall Strap
Five 1-foot Pipe Lengths
Tee with Clean-Out

It is the AC-3000 Kit and no the elbow is not on there does it have to be as the guy who helped my husband install it said he was told all the elbow does it make it easier for the whole chimney to get ripped off the house when the snow comes off the roof. Could that be the problem if so I can my husband put it on.

Pointing the cap down will help the wind from entering your vent killing the draft. With the 90º install your only adding about 6 inches more outword of the house.

j-takeman said:
nuttyfrom6kids said:
j-takeman said:

List of components

AC-3000 Kit Includes:
Horizontal Cap
*90 Degree Elbow*
Wall Strap
Five 1-foot Pipe Lengths
Tee with Clean-Out

Pointing the cap down will help the wind from entering your vent killing the draft. With the 90º install your only adding about 6 inches more outword of the house.

Will have my husband put it on when he gets home tonight and fire it up I hope it helps will let you know.

nuttyfrom6kids said:
j-takeman said:

Will have my husband put it on when he gets home tonight and fire it up I hope it helps will let you know.

Adding the 90º is good. But doing a full cleaning like imacman stated will have more effect on the lazy flame problem.

Will have my husband put it on when he gets home tonight and fire it up I hope it helps will let you know.[/quote]

Adding the 90º is good. But doing a full cleaning like imacman stated will have more effect on the lazy flame problem.[/quote]

Husband put it on and still not working right now it is crushing the pellets in the feed tube so am assuming it is from it being so dirty will just have to wait for pellet tech to clean it and hope he gets a cancellation before the 21st .

Status
Not open for further replies.