New to pellet stoves-Excessive Ash? Englander 25-PDV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MassWood

Nov 7, 2007
Western MA, Berkshires
So, a coffee can full of ash in 15 hours is okay?(just from the burn pot) Me and my wife have both had wood stoves in our families since

we were kids, but this year with our own kid we decided a pellet stove might be safer, cleaner and easier to fuel so we went out to home depot and got a pretty good deal

on an englander 25-PDV and 3 Ton of pellets. Well, we've been a bit concerned because when we burn it for 12-15 hours on heat range 1-5 (mixed or constant on one

setting) we get about a coffee can full of ash and some times it will put the fire out at night. We have a friend with a Harmon and he gets a 1/2 inch of talc ash in the

morning, that's the only reason we were concerned maybe the stove is out of tune (running to lean/rich) We tried different pellets, but they only burned a bit hotter and

not much cleaner. If this is how the stove burns that's fine, I like the hearth shovel idea, simple easy and quick. Just want to make sure everything is kosher.

Thanks for your time
James

Bumping for a bit of feedback from Mike or other 25-PDV owners

Did you install the outside air kit included with the stove? tell us how you vented the stove sounds to me ther is a draft of combustion air issue

Sounds to me like ash from burning pellets. I find that pesky stuff filling up my wood stove too.

Could be normal ash. It is seems excessive by my experience, but I was burning softwood. I would get a bit less than a cup of ash per bag burned with premium softwood pellets.

I have the outside air hooked up, and the exhaust has three feet vertical and three foot horizontal. I know more vertical would add more draft,

but would it solve this problem? The local hardware store doesn't like taking back used stove pipe if that's not the fix. And buying more parts or tools

than I need never makes the wife happy. A grain store I went to the other day, had almost an identical setup in his store in the corner, with the

flue going through a piece of cement board out a window. Is there a way to adjust the combustion air to see if that's the problem? If the burnpot

was a carb. on a car I would say it was getting to much fuel or too little air,.. ie. running rich. Any ideas? I just got concerned when people tell

me they clean their stoves every few days and I clean my a few times a day.

Thanks for the time
James

Last time I burned Home Depot pellets was back when they still carried Stove Chow, minus couple bags got cheap because they were ripped.

Did notice that they left significantly more ash than the pellets that I am using now. The exhaust also stunk a little more but it still produced heat.

I would call ESW toll free number (the manufacturers). They could walk you through changing the burn air setting (it's real easy) to see if that helps.

To reduce the amount of ash, find some local places that sell different brands of pellets by the bag, and pick up couple bags of each type to figure out which ones you like the best. This way can get the pellets during the spring/summer when prices are the best.

We did pick up some energex pellets, they're supposed to be a top brand and are more expensive.

They hands down burned much hotter, but to my surprise they weren't much cleaner, that's why I

was leaning to the cumbustion air being lean. I've tried calling the ESW line the last few days but they

are busy busy busy, understandably so for this time of year. I might try to get the wife to call but I don't need

it any more broken =)

MassWood,

At your leisure tomorrow call customer service and try to get Mike Holton. If you can't reach him, hang up, call back and as soon as you hear the recording call me at x144. If no one answers leave me a voicemail and your name and I'll give you a call back. I won't be in the office most of the day, because we are finishing up the fabrication of a new prototype in the factory, but I'll definitely return the call or get Mike to return it as soon as possible.

I appreciate the quick response and offer for help, I've been busy at work too, 10-13 hours days,

So it might not be till I have Friday off I can call again,( I want to be next to the stove when I call)

but definitely will take you up on the offer and see what we can figure out.

Thanks
James

yup....me too.........bought 30 bags at wally world in concord nh "tidy timbers" was on the bag.......wow what a difference.......my ash pile overnight is almost covers the auger!.......no lie.......englander 25pvdc..........how can i make these 30 bags work...............there is just a pile of orange glowing pellets in the morning with a little bit of fire in the front.......i'll take a pic and post it in the a.m..........seems like i need a whole bunch more combustion air to burn these pellets........please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.