New to Pellet Stoves, need some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiddy465

Sep 19, 2013
Fall River, Nova Scotia
Hey everyone,

Thanks to a provincial rebate and the foolish cost of electricity here in Nova Scotia, I'm making the switch to a pellet stove (likely Eco-65). I currently have a wood stove in the basement of our split-entry house, which is piped vertically about 4 feet from the top of the stove, then horizontally throught the basement wall out to a Selkirk flue. From what I've learned so far I can attach the pellet pipe to the Selkirk with an adapter - do you recommend installing the adapter at the thimble and running the pellet pipe up to it? Or leave the horizontal pipe as-is, and put the adapter at the bottom of the 90* elbow that is currently installed? Hope this question makes sense!

I'd run the pellet pipe as far up as you can. Pellet stoves have force exhaust and weep smoke on start up. Pellet pipe has sealed joints to help stop the smokey smell.

Hey everyone,

Thanks to a provincial rebate and the foolish cost of electricity here in Nova Scotia, I'm making the switch to a pellet stove (likely Eco-65). I currently have a wood stove in the basement of our split-entry house, which is piped vertically about 4 feet from the top of the stove, then horizontally throught the basement wall out to a Selkirk flue. From what I've learned so far I can attach the pellet pipe to the Selkirk with an adapter - do you recommend installing the adapter at the thimble and running the pellet pipe up to it? Or leave the horizontal pipe as-is, and put the adapter at the bottom of the 90* elbow that is currently installed? Hope this question makes sense!
Believe it or not, I just did this today. Run the pellet pipe to the thimble adapter you get for the Class A stove pipe. I had it the other way you describe for years and frequently smelled and saw a puff of smoke upon startup.

Hey everyone,

Great stove choice! Happy Burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.