New to Pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

siriustock

Dec 2, 2010
Saginaw Mi.
Hi everyone..

I had a new Modular home put on my property in the spring and it is all electric heat..well my bill went up $100 just from Oct. so i went out and looked at wood pellet stoves today. The only dealer around carry's Harmon stoves and says that the pro38 and there price is $2650. Is that a good price and is Harmon worth the money? also Harmon's web sight says that stove heats 1400 sq. ft. and my house is 1800 sq. ft. it is a ranch style and all open. I only have $3000 to spend and plan on installing it myself. There are so many to chose from its a little overwhelming.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

Hi Siriustock...Welcome to the Forum! You will get a heap of information her from people who know what they're talking about! Harmon makes a great stove (usually) and there are a lot of Harmon owners out there. Read the forum and look for posts about Harmons. They key here seems to be the importance of picking a good dealer. If you have a bad dealer and you have problems with the stove, you could be in for a world of hurt. Harmon doesn't have the best factory support but if you have a good dealer that doesn't matter as much. Do some reading and make your decision after you're educated. Believe me, there's a lot more to these stoves than just picking out one that looks good.

Chan

Sirius, welcome to the forum. Lot's of info and helpful people here.

As for picking a stove, that's the toughest part of starting with pellet stoves....there are many good brands out there. I'm sure if you check some pellet stove companies websites, you'll find more stoves available in your area than you think. Check their "dealer locator" parts of their sites.

Yes, Harman are very nice stoves, but pricey and seem to have just as many "issues" as many lower priced stoves.

Lowes & Home Depot have Englander stoves, and we have a Senior Englander Tech on the forum too.

Travis Industries has Lopi and Astoria stoves, both quality stoves: www.avalonfirestyles.com/where_to_buy/ http://lopistoves.com/where_to_buy/

Another good stove line is Enviro: www.enviro.com/contact/index.php

Other stoves are St Croix, Austroflamm (Rika), and QuadraFire....do a search and their website will have dealer locators I'm sure.

As for installing it yourself, do a LOT of reading in this forum before you do that.....it takes planning and some thought on location and materials to use.

And in reference to your thoughts on the space to be heated, remember one thing....pellet stoves are considered to be "room heaters". They may heat a lot of your home, but don't expect it to heat all of it. And also take the manufacturers claims to heat a certain number of sq. ft with a grain of salt....those numbers are "best case scenario".

Siriustock,
Did you go to the kernel burner??? http://www.thekernelburner.com/pelletstoves.htm
he's right there in Saginaw.Also a multi-fuel stove will
burn pellets but other fuel too.
Also try craigs list there were afew earlier this fall around you.

good luck BobMac

BobMac said:
Siriustock,
Did you go to the kernel burner??? http://www.thekernelburner.com/pelletstoves.htm
he's right there in Saginaw.Also a multi-fuel stove will
burn pellets but other fuel too.
Also try craigs list there were afew earlier this fall around you.

good luck BobMac

Great post BobMac......there's 4 of the stove companies I mentioned all in one location!! And your thoughts on the multi-fuelers is right on.....especially in Michigan where there are a lot of cherry pits to be had.

My Englander 10-cpm will burn wood pellets, cherry pits, corn, grass....even coffee pellets!! :cheese:

I have heard that cherry pits burn better then wood pellets. is there a advantage to cherry pits? i have seen them for a little over $200 a ton. also i think im going to look at the englander i see home depot carry's them..

Thanks Imacman,
I myself have 2 seraph industries genisis stoves http://www.seraph-industries.com/ I looked and looked and this is the one I picked
3 years with 106 and not a problem.108 just started this fall sucker puts out the heat.Also if you go to there site thats my dog featured on home page :):)
American made is south Beliot,Illinois.Doesnt get the advertisment that the big companys do but they will burn anything and built like tank,not bad looking either. I've burned
dog food,soy beans mixed with wood,corn, switchgrass, wheat,cherry pits and looking for more.

later BobMac

Has anyone that has a englander 10-CPM have any issues? From everything iv read it seems like you just have to do the routine maintenance and they seem to run well. It looks like home depot sells them for $2400

siriustock said:
Has anyone that has a englander 10-CPM have any issues? From everything iv read it seems like you just have to do the routine maintenance and they seem to run well. It looks like home depot sells them for $2400

That's the stove I have. I have a thread on the forum where I am keeping all the pellet burners abreast of my attempt to burn the stove without opening the door or cleaning it until it stops....so far, I am on bag 48.....still going strong.

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62598/

I bought mine on eBay. Not this particular seller, but the stoves all come from Englander anyway, and this particular auction is for a NEW stove.....comes w/ factory warranty too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-49-...ultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d0a2de4#ht_4904wt_958

$1699 OBO, plus shipping.

siriustock said:
I have heard that cherry pits burn better then wood pellets. is there a advantage to cherry pits? i have seen them for a little over $200 a ton. also i think im going to look at the englander i see home depot carry's them..

The only issue w/ cherry pits is that the ash level will be higher (clean the stove more often).

imacman said:
siriustock said:

The only issue w/ cherry pits is that the ash level will be higher (clean the stove more often).

What do YOU care... you never clean yours anyway!!!!

What Krooser said . . . Hee, Hee, Hee . . . . .

Ranger

I read a write up about the Harman P-61 handling ash better then any other stove. The article was from a University (can't remember which one). They were burning pellets made from switch grass (extremely high ash content) and this stove performed better then any of the others (they tested about 10 stoves).

I bought both of my stoves used for about 1/5 of the retail price, so I recommend going the used stove route. Often it's people selling them because they don't know how to maintain a stove and think there is something wrong with them so they sell cheap. If I was going to buy a new stove at a new stove price I would buy a Harman P61.

I have to admit that following this other post where the fella hasn't opened his stove door for over 40 bags is impressive, as I have to clean my Quadrafire Mt Vernon out daily. I find that very appealing.

Just my two cents worth.

I am the Queen of "Do it yourselfers"

I have purchased new stoves BUTTTTTTTTTTT the cost is/can be fairly high.

If you are handy with tools and such this is a good thing.

Try looking on Craigs List and see what shakes out on a used stove.

I bought two used ones last winter and did one swap out for an older stove that we had used for 15 years and added another smaller stove.

I paid $200 each for the stoves and cleaned them good and installed them.

My total cost for the two stoves, stove pipe plus some other home improvement in the family room was less than $800

Many people will buy a pellet stove, use it a couple season, then get tired of it or ????????? and decide to sell it.

With the large open spaces, you may want to consider two smaller stoves and place them in strategic spots that will allow you to keep the house a more even temp rather than frying in one area and freezing in another.

We have 3 stoves in a 2400 ft Ranch style, no hallways and very open.

Just some thoughts

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.