New to Pellets, New house has P68!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XJma

Burning Hunk
Oct 28, 2012
NH
I'm a wood burning guy, born and raised, but just bought a house that needs some work but has a harman P68 which google tells me is not too shabby of a stove. It's dirty, like you can't see through the glass but that shouldn't be an issue. I know how to clean a wood stove, but I have never done anything other than pour pellets into a pellet stove. It is vented right out the back and through the wall, which I take is typical of this machine?? I love having a huge warm masonry chimney in the center of the house....which I guess the all nighter in the basement will have to take care of, but the vent is only 3-4 feet off the ground. Is this OK? Just shovel it clear?

I would consider myself very handy as people pay me to fix their schit, but have never worked on a pellet stove. Can you guys point me towards any videos showing how to clean this beast?? Oh, and the house has forced hot air propane (which I won't burn any of other than the renai tankless and the two ranges....well and the backup generator) but happy to help the heat circulate with the fan on run! Thanx for the advice!

Reactions: bogieb
Harman has several owner resources including links to some youtube video. Its an easy stove to clean and venting is pretty straight forward. Download the manuals for operation and install and should help with some of the ??s Good luck

Reactions: bogieb and F4jock
Congrats on the new house and the new pellet beast :)... learn about your new best friend here:
http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P68.pdf
http://www.harmanstoves.com/Owner-Resources/Use-and-Care-Videos/P43-P61A-P68-Pellet-Stoves.aspx

Hopefully you won't need this one .... http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/serviceParts/P68.pdf

There is also a Harman sticky thread at the top of the main pellet stove page ... what your manual doesn't tell you.

Is there a vertical rise on the outside of the vent? Check manual for install info as not all stoves require vertical rise. Some folks have found that the vertical rise assists in evacuating smoke when power is lost. Outside air kit? For my house, it has cut down air infiltration drafts and stove burns better with dedicated air source... Surge protection on the stove? Smoke and CO detectors? May have to figure out on the shovelling part if the snow drifts, especially want to keep OAK clear.

Keep us posted on how you make out ...

Reactions: bogieb and F4jock
but the vent is only 3-4 feet off the ground. Is this OK? Just shovel it clear?

Yeah, just keep it shoveled clear. I am lucky that my house has a 3' overhang and a metal roof so it dumps quite a ways out from where my pipe sticks out the foundation only 2' above grade. towards Feb. I have to start clearing out some of the berm that develops just to ensure that the exhaust is going up and not back toward the house, but it's no big deal.

Reactions: F4jock
Bo, Bio and Lake have pointed you in the right direction. Download the manual. Read up on your stove and have at it. If you have specific questions we can all help. Plenty of Harman experience here! :)

Thanx for all the good advice!! I have started reading up and with the help of my bro in law that has a fancy accentra, I think I will try to tackle it myself! The ash tray is pretty full, which isn't too difficult to remedy. There are brushes and that burn pot scraper right next to the stove so that helps. Will come back with any specific Qs I have. Thanx again for pointing me in the right direction!

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.