New to Stoves; Mama Bear Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidHalton

Dec 27, 2014
Boston, MA
FisherMamaBear.jpg I recently bought new home and for first time I have ability to use wood stove.. I was lucky enough to find a Mama Bear and it needs some cleaning up. I was told i need a door gasket and also i need to build an hearth..

If anyone could offer some helpful info.

I have wall flue or vent and it's 48" off floor (minus the hearth). Where should i purchase the flue?

I am BRAND NEW at this and want to do it right!!!

Willing to sell or trade for glass door unit.
I have recently painted this with black heat paint..

Welcome to the Forum;
No gasket ; One of the benefits of a Fisher is not requiring replacement of door gasket material. The door seal is the iron 1 inch channel iron that makes a 3 point contact on door. This is considered air tight as built.

The flue is the hole inside the chimney. It should have some sort of lining at in square or round inner pieces all the way to the top. If it doesn't, it needs liner installed. (stainless steel) The diameter is important. It should be the same size as stove outlet all the way up.
I think you mean you need to purchase the connector pipe between stove and chimney ? The pipe clearance is given in manual for side and rear clearances. Closer than that, you need double wall. A picture of the hearth or where the stove is going would be helpful. You need to read the owners manual for clearance to stove and floor protection required. The manuals are at the top of the Fisher Forum page in the sticky section. Make sure you're reading the correct manual!!

A glass door freestanding Fisher would require a 8 inch chimney. This stove should have 6. You buy the stove to fit the chimney, or pay big bucks to reline the chimney to match the stove.

Since your brand new at this, read a bunch of posts on the Fisher Forum to get the basics of wood burning. It's not difficult to have a good experience with wood or coal burning, but you need to know the fundamentals before it turns into a bad experience. You have a very easy stove to learn there. The Single door stoves of the Bear Series are not made for fire viewing, no screens, no glass.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-fisher-owner.137880/

Status
Not open for further replies.