New to the forum and wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vmar

Nov 5, 2023
Michigan
I have an older (pre 1990) timberline stove. Great condition, throws a ton of heat. I have an issue with smoke from the door when adding wood. Everything is wide open, and I have increased the height of my chimney. Is the baffle the cause of the problem? Thanks for any insight.
20231105_071815.jpg

Describe the flue system in detail from stove top to chimney top, including height, pipe size, number of 90º turns, etc.

There are other factors such as chimney location, local topography, and negative pressure zones that can also affect draft.

1000002198.jpg20231105_161913.jpg

6 inch pipe, two 90s, 12 ft chimney. Wondering if the baffle is upside down, or just got too hot and should be straight?

The pictures help a lot. The baffle looks ok. There are three 90º turns in the flue path and a long horizontal section. That combo is significantly weakening the draft. The less horizontal pipe there is the better. The middle elbow can be eliminated by rotating the 90 on the stove toward the thimble and directly connecting it to a 45º elbow at the thimble.

Note that the heat shielding is needed, but it looks like this is an improper install. The heat shields need to be on 1" standoffs so that air can convect freely behind them. They should be open 1" at the bottom and top.