New to the forum, having issues with my Winslow PS 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toofast250r

Dec 13, 2012
I restarted my stove the other night and put it on the the 3rd setting (ranges from 1-5) to heat my house like normal, about an hour later my lower house was filed with smoke and it was traveling upstairs, smoke alarms went off, it was quite a surprise. This is my second season with this stove, it came with the house when I bought it. I clean it out about 1 x week, regardless of how many bags I use, or more if needed. After evacuating the smoke from my house I cleaned it again, then I looked at the owners manual and found some other places to clean/vaccuum. My issue is this. I can't tell if the smell of smoke is still lingering in my basement or if it is still slightly smoking. I do not see any smoke coming anywhere from the unit and it appears to be burning well. Last night I had it on the lowest setting for about 3-4 hours and noticed that the fan to blow the warm heated air is NOT coming on (I know it's supposed to come on after the stove reaches a certain temp). Does anybody have any idea what may have happened and what do you think about my blower/fan? Thanks in advance all.

Welcome,
I have the same stove, only the insert model.

If its not blowing on setting one, you're not getting enough fuel to burn with the air. Since you can't turn down the feed rate any lower, you need to slow down the air. There's a damper with a 5/32 allen head on the right hand side of the stove (at least on mine-- i know a lot of the ps vs pi are swapped for some reason, so check the other side). Move it in towards the center of the stove an inch or so.

It sounds like this might be what happened to make it lose vacuum as well. If it runs out of vacuum, smokey air can exit the air intake (under the burn pot, out the back around the ignigtor).

Make sure your exhaust pipe is squeeky clean all the way out the T and the side flue passage blockers too are a big item to check. Make sure the holes in the burn pot are not clogged.

If you're still getting smoke, cease using the stove at once and call a pro in to investigate before using again. And make sur eyou have carbon monoxide dectors in the house.

You may also want to check the door gasket (rope looking thing). search here for 'dollar bill test'. It should be tight that a bill can't move out easily when closed. I found that when i use the latch to pull AND lock, it doesn't always seal good. So i push it closed hard, THEN lock it down with the lever on the door.

hope this helps.

I couldn't find anything anywhere to change the airflow, since the thought was that I may be getting too much air and not enough fuel, I turned up the rate of the pellets and the blower still will not turn on. I also think this may be where some of the smoke may be coming from, but not %100 on that. I guess I will try to bench test the convection blower if it's possible. Any input??

The draft adjuster is on the back of the firebox. its not on any of the pipes. If the blower isn't turning on, it's likely because there's a vac leak. Do the dollar bill test.
Re-clean the whole thing again, even though its clean, and re-tighten doesn every seal proper. Make sure your pipe has high temp 800 degree rtv on the joints so it doesn't leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.