New to the forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibladerj

Mar 4, 2013
North of Scranton
Hello everyone at Hearth,

I found this site not to long ago and just had to join! I purchased a home last July that had a King (US Stove Co.) 5500M. What a learning process, I use to be a coal guy. Prior to finding this site I added a OAK, fine tuned the feed rate, added a t-stat, and also the vent speed. Oh an a made a inclined sifter of removing excess fines.

So far I have put a little under 5 tons of lignetics(green label) into her. I also started to try several different bands over the season;
Bags Brand
3 Power house
2 Pa pellet
2 Green supreme
2 Cheat river
maybe one more brand that escapes me at the moment.

I don't know what the member base on my model of stove is but I have some projects planed that may be of interest. But for now I just wanted tot say, Hello.

Welcome aboard, I think there are a few members with the 5500M hangin out here. Some of us are going to ask for pic's of your beauty. Post some if you can.

Welcome! Yes PICS are always welcome here. We love to envy others handy work.>>

The 5500M may very well be my next stove.

ill take some pics when i get home. I dont mind the stove, but i think its pretty basic. I am a tinker kinda a guy you will be hearing from me.

Reactions: smoke show
Here is my setup. Hope you don't mind but I did not clean up before the picture. On the left is my pellet screener that is also hooked up to the shop vac for fine dust control. My OAK is on the left which is currently 3" flex pipe ( it was early winter when I installed that). It needs to be touched up this spring/ summer. Next is my pellet stove! Have any questions just ask!

2013-03-07_18-30-27_219.jpg

no worries,.. looks good,.. and all the main ingredients are there,... good job!

...now enjoy the warmth,... without paying big oil co

Welcome to the forum. Basic or not, any pellet stove that keeps
ya warm is a good one in my book. ;)

What do you mean surge protector?

Suggested you get one if you don't have one so the stove don't go kaput when you least expect it.

It will protect the computer board on your stove in the event of a lightning strike or power surge.

Ahh good idea. I have one ill throw on it. Thanks!

Have any questions just ask!
So,.. how do you like the 5500 so far,.. some complaints that Ive heard are that the convection fan is very loud,.. but can be adjusted lower,... and that the igniter's dont last. I know its hard because because youve had nothing to compare it too.

Personally I think the stove is okay. The manual is terrible and leaves much to be desired. The only other stove i have experience with is a p61. Its my father-in-laws, I feel as tho the fans are comparable in volume. I plan to get a backup ignitor but mine seems fine for now. The stove was new last year from the pervious home owner, I have put about 5 tons in to the stove, cleaning normally every 3 days with a full shut down. I believe that is why the ignitors go, frequent cleanings and restarts. Im a scientist by profession so i plan on disecting this stove in the off season.

How big is the space your heating?

Is your stove a basement dweller? I'm sure you'll hear more about "the club" if it does;)

Yes sir im a basement dwelle.

Been running the 5500m for 2 years, about the same no complaints, had a blower motor go out the first year, company sent one fast, great service. Had to adjust the pellet rate on setting 1, it was bulking up in the pot, runs fine now. On 1, keeps my hootch at about 73 degrees, no matter what it is outside. Clean about every 4 days, havent had any problems with the ignitors...yet. I run Kentucky Kernal in mine, $200 a ton, not much dust in them.

Reactions: Shaw520
Been running the 5500m for 2 years, about the same no complaints, had a blower motor go out the first year, company sent one fast, great service. Had to adjust the pellet rate on setting 1, it was bulking up in the pot, runs fine now. On 1, keeps my hootch at about 73 degrees, no matter what it is outside. Clean about every 4 days, havent had any problems with the ignitors...yet. I run Kentucky Kernal in mine, $200 a ton, not much dust in them.

thank you,... ;)

Shaw520 I tried to video my stove to get the blower sound for you. Even with my boom mic it doesnt sound to loud. I have one more idea to pick it up then ill post for you to hear.

welcome aboard and don't be afraid to share your BEER! we love BEER just as much as our stoves. did someone mention BEER? psst, it won't be long now the BEER DRINKER'S will chime in, hehe!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.