New to the forum.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drvn4wood

Apr 1, 2014
Pa
I wasn't sure where to introduce myself but I figured here may be a good place. Just bought my first stove last week.

Last month the wife and I took the big plunge on a home - recently married and first time home owners. So far it's been great and I was able to purchase a lot of new toys that I didn't need at a rented townhouse - slowly learning every improvement project starts or ends with busted knuckles and cursing. But I was allowed to buy a lot of gas powered toys :)

Anyway, the house has a nice fireplace upstairs and had a pellet stove downstairs that we sold to pay for the wood stove we put in it's place. Might be a little small for the house, but it's a pleasant hearth 1800 from Lowe's that I got scratch and dent for 500. It's a well insulated ranch with a finished walkout basement totaling 2600 between the two levels but we just want it to heat the lower level during football season to start off but I tend to think we'll use it more than that.

Getting the clay lined masonry chimney inspected next week and am guessing that we will run a stainless liner up it before we fire the stove.

I've been reading this forum for the last couple months and cannot tell everyone how helpful your information has been to me. Thanks!

Welcome to h.c. Keep us updated on progress and for sure start liner shopping for that chimney to safely get the most out of the lil stove and to make maintaining it easier.

Welcome aboard. From your first post it does seem like you have been doing your homework. Keep us posted - and yeah, we like pics.;)

Welcome. How ya doin' on a wood collection?

Reactions: PapaDave
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forums !!

What Rick said, get that wood stock piled !!

Welcome to the forum neighbor. I don't know the stoves at Lowes, but it sounds like you got a good deal. Yea wood burning has a bit of a learning curve. The experts here can comment on any issue you have.

Sounds like that stove might work pretty good in the basement, which I'm guessing is finished. Burning wood will grow on you. Now that you're here you can learn more, and then decide what stove you want to put in upstairs. It's only a question of time.... ==c

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the basement is finished and that was a pretty big selling point when we bought the home. So far we have about a half cord that can be burned next year and that is from my father in law. Probably gonna end up buying kiln dried for next years heat. I will be starting on the pile this coming weekend but after what I already thought was correct, and from what I've learned on here, that is going to sit till the 15/16 winter before it's used.

Thanks again everyone! I'll post pictures as things start to take shape!

There is lots of wood you can cut and stack now that will be ready for next winter. Just look for any soft woods or ash.

Reactions: Drvn4wood
Kiln dried firewood is not a guarantee of dryness (unless stated). It is a guarantee of a temp held for XXXX amount of time. Just pointing that out.

Reactions: Drvn4wood
Status
Not open for further replies.