New to the forums and interested in buying a wood pellet stove, can you help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Docmarmo

Dec 13, 2009
USA
Hello to all, hope this is in the right section and you all can help help me make the right decision.

I have an existing fireplace with a heatilator and a straight vertical rise of approx 25ft. I started shopping for an insert and came across a:

Whitfield, Model Profile 30 Ins-2 . The owner says he used it for only 3 seasons. It includes the brass trim surround, approx. 25' of stainless steel 4" flex pipe and "T" 90 degree with cleanout for chimney liner. (States the Liner needed for proper stove draft.. I will get back to that later.) A Cougar ash vacuum , special vacuum, designed for pellet stoves. Allows you to vacuum hot ash and Approx. 35 bags of low ash pellets.

He is asking $1700 just for the stove or $2000 for everything. I really do not want to get taken here as I no nothing about pellet stoves so I really hope you all can help me out. Is this a decent deal? Should I just buy a new insert from Homedepot for less or about the same cost? I think this stove is discontinued and I have read some issues from this stove from bad bearings to weak auger motors etc. But it does state is a model INS -2 so I assume the 2 is 2nd gen and how is it better then the 1st and why? Is it still a poor design or is it a good stove?

I want to go check it out in action tomorrow night. He says it is for sale because they sold the house but it is still install and he uses it.

Ok maybe getting ahead of myself but according to the pdf on lennox website http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/resources/manual/775023M Rev E-Profile-stoves(II&OP;).pdf

Page 17, that I can go up a min of 18" above the existing damper and as long as I seal the joint and my masonry chimney is in good order that would be enough. Is this ok? my Chimney is only 8 years old and has a proper cap...

Thank you all in advance.

You didn't quite get the right area, but no big deal, as I'm moving this over to the Pellet area where you should be able to get more help...

As a general note on the chimney setup, you might be "legal" do do a direct connect like you described, but in practice you will be MUCH better off to do a full length liner to the top of the chimney - this will perform better and be easier to maintain.

Gooserider

Bad deal...with the tax rebate you are much better off buying a new stove than paying that much for a used stove...if you go used (I did!) you can find them for $500 and up on CRaig's list. Just remember to THROUGHLY clean the stove BEFORE you install it... I believe many stoves are sold because they have had poor maintenance and stop working efficiently so the PO's sell them.

Thanks Mod for putting it where it needs to be.

Appreciate the couple of responces thus far. In terms of the tax rebate, not sure if my CPA can get us anymore then he already does in terms of deductions and with that said it is not my primary concern. Rather is this stove a good design compared to say a home depot pellet insert new? I checked craigslist and guess what, that is where I found this (oh no now someone is going to buy it from under me :>))) j/k) and from what I see most of the inserts on craigslist are old and beatup looking. I do want some asthetic appeal. Even with everything that is included not a good deal? if the stove has issues say a bad board what does that cost to replace? Is it the most expensive part? Really trying to cover all the bases here.

Thanks

pelletsystems said:
If you wanted to be warm and cold free all day long on winter seasons but worried about the bills and expenses it might incur on you, wood pellets and pellet stoves are the ultimate answer to your vital needs. Wood pellets are like petroleum products, they can give you heat and energy but on a safer and more affordable way. If before we only use gasoline to heat up an engine and run it efficiently, wood pellets also do the same. They can activate that engine or they can be used as wood fuels to give heat and warm sensation during the cold days of the year. The big difference is that they don’t give much residue in terms of its ash content compared to petroleum base products as well as they contain less moisture meaning high quality of heat and fuel is what you can have. Also, they are more practical to use because of its affordability compared to monopolized petroleum and electric products.

On the other hand, pellet stoves are being used same as with fireplaces and wooden stoves but more efficient and practical. If from fireplaces and wooden stoves you still need to have separate and well made infrastructures to support its vertical length, not anymore with pellet stoves. They consume only one third of the size of fireplaces making it very light and compact perfect for small houses. They are also easier to maintain and clean compared to traditional wooden stoves and fireplaces that still needs to be serviced to maintain its shine and gleam. When used both, wood pellets and pellet stoves can give you warm and cozy environment perfect during winter days being free from shivering nights and cold studded moments. Just remember to use high quality pellets like those being made by Pellet Systems International to yield positive and great results. Visit them at Pelletsystems.com for more information about wood pellets.

spam.jpg

Docmarmo said:
Thanks Mod for putting it where it needs to be.

Appreciate the couple of responces thus far. In terms of the tax rebate, not sure if my account can get us anymore then he already does in terms of deductions and with that said it is not my primary concern. Rather is this stove a good design compared to say a home depot pellet insert new? I checked craigslist and guess what, that is where I found this (oh no now someone is going to buy it from under me :>))) j/k) and from what I see most of the inserts on craigslist are old and beatup looking. I do want some asthetic appeal. Even with everything that is included not a good deal? if the stove has issues say a bad board what does that cost to replace? Is it the most expensive part? really trying to cover all the bases here.

Thanks

A 35% rebate on the stove and accessories (up to $1500.00) is tough to beat... buy a $3000.00 stove and you're already under $2K net.

I'm sure some Whitfield owners will chime in here... many owners are very brand loyal here and you may have a hard time getting an unbiased opinion. There are also a few service techs here who would be great to get input from... they work on these things everyday. A board can be a couple hundred dollars... plus a service call. New stove warranties suck IMHO because they often don't cover all the labor if you need an in-home service call. Many owners repair their own stoves under warranty after getting the parts from the selling dealer.

Good luck...

SPAM, lol...

Thank you Sir.

Can you then point me to a pellet stove you prefer?

Also on the tax rebate can you point me to something I can forward to my accountant to see if it is worthwhile for me to persue.

I would start with quadrafire, and Harman... Also, read all the new stove threads on the last three pages to see similar discussions....

There are several posts on how to send your stove receipt in with your taxes to claim a rebate on anything 75% efficient.... most pellet stoves have been thus certified.

For an insert, if that was your inquiry, I would personally be interested in a Quad flush fireplace style pellet, or their large cast insert...
If money is an issue take one of the nearly free austroflamm Rika II stoves being dumped... brand new and qualify for rebate... highest quality-enjoy!

Anka

anka said:
I would start with quadrafire, and Harman... Also, read all the new stove threads on the last three pages to see similar discussions....

There are several posts on how to send your stove receipt in with your taxes to claim a rebate on anything 75% efficient.... most pellet stoves have been thus certified.

For an insert, if that was your inquiry, I would personally be interested in a Quad flush fireplace style pellet, or their large cast insert...
If money is an issue take one of the nearly free austroflamm Rika II stoves being dumped... brand new and qualify for rebate... highest quality-enjoy!

Anka

I am in NNJ and I can certainly do mail order. Where do you suggest I have a look at these stoves?

Also something like this any good?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If your looking at spending 2k for an old clunker of a stove, skip the big box stores and go to a Hearth Retailer. They are these places where you can buy a pellet stove or insert with a liner kit for about $3,000. Rumor has it you can walk right into one of these mythical shops and see units in operation. You may also be able to speak with a salesperson who can help you decide what product is right for you. These places can also provide you with all the documentation and info you need for the tax credit. Go fast, before these hearth retailers stop selling stoves and survive on service call money made on Home Depot and Craigslist stoves.

Forget home depot, it is not my first choice. I am looking to buy a good stove without breaking the bank. That is why I went to craigslist. I want heat fast and do not want to have to deal with the firewood issue nor inefficienty of the fireplace and short burn times. my inlaws use the room mostly when they visit and they visit often so the fact I can get a pellet stove and have them just hit a thermostat (as long as I have it loaded with fuel is very appealing.

At any rate someone mentioned "Quad flush fireplace style pellet, or their large cast insert…
If money is an issue take one of the nearly free austroflamm Rika II"

I did google searches for both and found no info on the Quad Flush and very little hits for the austro.

Is there a website that has prices etc where I can go shop????????

Fire Place store. Hearth Retailer.

If I was buying a video game, I'd buy it online. If I was going to buy something that made fire in my house that had numerous switches, motors, computers and other moving parts, I would buy it from a store that sells them, someone I felt comfortable with, someone I trusted that can help me with warranty service and advice after the sale. Look at the hundreds of posts of folks who bought pellet stoves who are always looking for help because they bought it used, online or from a big box store.

As Franks said. Hard to beat the service of a good quality dealer. If the mail order-Internet stove has an issue you will be the one repairing it. Parts will be out of your pocket. Most manufactor won't even give you the time of day on an internet stove. You will be the service guy.

If you are not that handy, Best to purchase from a pro. Less headaches in the long run.

just my 2
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.