New to the forums, not so new to wood heat!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VRT_Corrado

Jan 23, 2015
Warwick, NY
Hello all! New guy here from New York. Grew up in the torturous, tyrannical rule of NYC, but was lucky enough for it just to have been because of my parents work. My families been heading for upstate NY getaways since way before I was even a thought and we all finally made the move. I'm in Warwick, NY now with a nice small house on 2 acres for myself, my wife and our 2yo son and could'nt be happier.
Like I said before, NYC basically barely allows anything. If you have a chimney with visible smoke, someones calling to complain about you, a miserable existence. Probably 3 weeks after closing on our house, we installed our wood stove!! Started out with a VC Intrepid II catalytic stove and we love it! Small stove with 1 or 2 little issues, but a HUGE heat producer pound for pound.
Anyway, small introduction out of the way, just figured i'd say hi! Hoping to get great info here when needed!
c161cc8c297c6a77db2237cbfb16ba22.jpg
07f26afefc6f3e2e398f56655a5abb0f.jpg

Welcome. That is a good little stove. Is it the Intrepid II?

One concern here is with corner clearances. The Intrepid is a strongly radiant stove which needs good clearances. I think this stove is around 20" which looks to be much closer than required.

Do you have proper clearance from the stove to the wall? Hard to tell from the pics but it looks close.

And begreen beat me to it again lol. Just looked it up if it has a heat shield it is probably ok it only needs 12"

Welcome to the forum. It always is interesting to me when people from NYC think upstate NY is way down at the bottom of the state. I feel that I live in upstate NY in the Rochester region. Anyways, you will get a lot of good advice here.

hehe I live in upstate NY literally minutes from Whiteface mountain. Welcome to the forums and enjoy the heat.

It gets semi-rural just 30 miles north of the city in some areas and downright woody rural just 60 miles north.

All my friends in the UK think I live in NYC, there is no such thing as upstate England - its not big enough lol

Sure there is, it's called Scotland.

The size of the country of England is 130,365 square miles. NYS is half that size at 54,475 sq miles.

Sure there is, it's called Scotland.

The size of the country of England is 130,365 square miles. NYS is half that size at 54,475 sq miles.

Rubbish............thats upstate Scotland not England............we also have on the side state......Wales.

Bob

LOL

For NYC folk, seeing hills in Yonkers is "upstate" lol! Thank you for the concern too, it's just the picture. I have no heat shields, it's a very thick wood panelling. With it being my first personal stove, I had my local dealer do the install. I'm a union Millwright and work on machinery worth into the hundreds of millions of dollars, but am scared to do a little carpentry [emoji23][emoji106] Anyways, to be safe, I had the company I made the purchase from do the install and because of a beam in the cieling, it's actually OVER the needed clearances. I have 2'+ all around the stove. Killed some of my small living room space, but i'd rather play it safe!!

It gets semi-rural just 30 miles north of the city in some areas and downright woody rural just 60 miles north.
You nailed it. Even though I was brought up a "city slicker" that went upstate to hunt and fish on the weekends, where I am now is pretty rural! I'm in the northern part of Warwick and am probably 45-50 miles north of the city. My family is another 15 miles north of me.....it's populated a lot in the past 10 years around here, but there's still plenty of deep woods to wander!

Welcome neighbor - I'm just a few miles south of the border from you. Just wanted to congrat u on ur relocation. I love where I live... But Warwick is a very special place. Between the grand old homes, the very nice downtown and being there in the valley surrounded by the planet's oldest mountains it's the only place I would think of moving to. Think it won the best place to live in America award at least a couple of times.

Thank you, Alex! It's a very nice area! Taxes are a bit high, but that's NY as a whole. For the excellent schools and property I have here, I don't mind paying it!

Status
Not open for further replies.