New to the game

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdoyle

May 27, 2008
NE Maine
I'm new to the "Forum" game and wood boiler technology in general, so bear with me!

For obvious reasons I am planning to convert existing Oil-fired HWBB system to a wood boiler. I have plenty of free hardwood (sweat & blood not counting) and currently use a Tulikivi soapstone fireplace to help defray heat costs. The house is a 2500+ square foot colonial, 12 years old, fairly well insulated.

The primary issue for me is reliability and ease of operation. I ship out in the Merchant Marine and am gone 2-3 months at a time, so the responsibility will fall on my wife and 2 young children to operate the unit. They are out of the house by 8:00 AM and home by 4:00. She is perfectly willing and capable of loading a boiler but would usually not have the time for an extended "burn".

Some questions:
1. Any smoke issues with having a boiler in the basement?
2. Could a boiler utilize the same flue as the current oil unit? (other flue taken by the Tulikivi). For dependability reasons I would
like the oil back-up but would hate to get rid of a perfectly good oil unit and spend extra $$ for a combination unit.
3. At first blush, conventional gasification units (Tarm, EKO) seem like the way to go. However, Seton, Greenfire, Greenwood
offer claims of technology that allows the burn to start / stop as necessary, eliminating thermal storage. Thoughts?
4. How often, really, is loading required? Is it really loading and leaving, or performing a 3-4 hour burn?
5. Thermal storage seems like a great option. I also own a metal fabrication shop and could easily build a tank if I had specs,
designs, etc. Worthwhile?
6. Thermal storage - pressurized vs non-pressurized? I have plenty of room and good access to my basement and expect to put
everything there.
7. Any options that allow wood and pellets? Might improve ease of loading while I'm away.
8. Water treatment necessary? I'd probably invest in a water softening system if necessary.
9. Through connections on my ship I may be able to aquire an EKO at a VERY reduced cost. How difficult is it to install and set-up,
and are there many experienced technicians around to help with a DIY situation?

Like I said, wood gasification with thermal storage is what I'm leaning towards but it all has to be pretty reliable and user-friendly. I am past the "what-if" stage so now it comes down to best system, model, etc.

I appreciate any input!

metalman

metalman,

I am at the same point as you are.

How much for the EKO's?
I have ruled out the seton,greenwood,I talked to people that have them and
the heatexchanger is only 7gal. If you lose power they overheat instantly.
I do commercial snow plowing and am out 24-30 hrs. at a time.
I cant leave my wife and kid with that.

metalman said:
Some questions:
1. Any smoke issues with having a boiler in the basement?
The only unit I have hands-on with is the Greenwood. I would NOT recomend this unit for an inside install. Generally good unit, but it belongs outside

metalman said:
3. At first blush, conventional gasification units (Tarm, EKO) seem like the way to go. However, Seton, Greenfire, Greenwood
offer claims of technology that allows the burn to start / stop as necessary, eliminating thermal storage. Thoughts?
I have the GW100 with no storage. On the efficiency side, storage can probably eliminate idling. When the GW idles, it still burns the wood, just very slowly. If you have sized the load appropriatly, use seasoned hardwood, and minimize the surface area ratio, the emissions on idling will be barely visible whisps of smoke.

metalman said:
4. How often, really, is loading required? Is it really loading and leaving, or performing a 3-4 hour burn??

I am still coming up the learning curve, but during the heating season, I try to load so that I can load every 8 hours.

metalman said:
9. Through connections on my ship I may be able to aquire an EKO at a VERY reduced cost. How difficult is it to install and set-up,
and are there many experienced technicians around to help with a DIY situation??

I am not a salesman for ANY brand, but the only one I have lived with is a GreenWood. If I was looking to purchase and - as you say - had some overseas 'connections', I would investigate the Viessmann Vitolig.

I have the Tarm Solo Plus 40. Not much smoke. Piped it parallel with existing oil boiler. My wife does a fill during the day fine on her own. Has 54 gallons in it, so with little draw from 8-4 I would think it would do fine. I power vented the oil furnace and used the chimney flue for the tarm. With heat storage you would definitely be able to leave it all day. I am building my own storage tank this summer. Definitely saves some money. I bought the Tarm before the dollar was so weak, but at over 80% efficiency with gasification and the large built in tank it is worth the extra money. I found a local contractor who worked with me on install. I hope that helps.

EWD1 - My possibility to acquire an EKO would be through an importer who supplies stores to my ship while in Europe. I'm not sure of the actual process but i may be able to avoid some freight, shipping, or tax (maybe 2K ?). MIght not be worth the hassle. I guess a big drawback would be lack of support for a foreign-bought self installation!

What is meant by power-venting the oil boiler? Metal-bestos through a wall? I've since been told that I need seperate flues for each appliance so I'd need a 3rd "flue" somewhere.

metalman,also europe is 240volt-50cycle electric.

powerventer-fan in exhaust pipe to create draft when furnace is running.

The power vent on my oil furnace has a fan and vents the exhaust out of the house just a few feet above ground level. It is not connected to a chimney flue. The idea is to disperse the emission away from the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.