New to the gassifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyvt

Sep 1, 2011
Southern Vermont
Hello everyone, I have just placed my order for a EKO-25. I have been reading about them on this site for a few months now. I plan on having it hooked up with my oil boiler and add storage next spring when I save up some more cash. The question I have is when this thing is all hooked up is it pretty much set to run from the factory. Or do I need to adjust anything like the air or fan to start. Thanks in advance for the information.

Welcome to the forum. My guess any response you get concerning factory settings should not be considered written in stone. (not that that ever got in the way). My understanding is that there are more units coming out that are at least in the ball park for a new setup set to go. Remember that's not in stone. My unit, an EKO40 purchased around six years ago, was pretty much set to run but still needed some tweaking to bring out the blue flame. Didn't take much but it sure made a difference in output and response time once I understood moe about what was going on. There is what is called a "sticky" on tuning the EKO when you first open the "boiler room" that would be worth your reading effort. When your unit is ready I would flatly say test the unit. Don't adjust anything that is not specifically required by the manufacturer. Something I did was use charcoal (about 15 pounds) instead of seasoned firewood for my initial fire. The moisture content was ideal and since a gasifier roughly works on the principle of turning the wood into charcoal and then a gas I was a step ahead in the test burn process. Once gasification was established I added seasoned firewood. It was a more expensive fire than seasoned firewood would have been but the boost to gasification was really amazing. Hearing that first whoosh and subdued and constant growl coming from the secondary combustion chamber brought out a lot of "wow's". The first peak at the fire in the secondary chamber was cautious but probably inevitible and irresistible. Learning to tweak your system because you know what you are looking for and looking at just adds icing to the cake. If you have ever used a wood stove you will find that a gasifier is a big piece of cake with a lot of frosting. There is a learning curve but that is to be expected. Best to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.