New to the Pellet Stove Thing and I have a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_Glastron

Aug 12, 2008
Upstate NY
New to the Pellet Stove Thing and I have a few questions.

I just purchased a Glowboy 120 and installed it in my finished basement. I have the stove connected to the appliance adapter which is connected to a tee. The pipe then goes vertical in the house for approx. 5 feet. I then have a 90^ elbow and a wall kit and the pipe terminates on the outside about 18" from the house. I have a cone on the end of the pipe.

All of this was purchased with the stove. The pipe is all BioVent.

My questions are this. When I started the stove tonught just to test it, I noticed a few sparks now and then coming out of the vent. I've searched around the forum and this appears to be normal. Is my assumption correct? I do not have any plants or anything near the vent termination.

While the stove was on, I did notice when pellets fall into the fire box, the unit sparks. I am not blowing pellets out of the pot. It just appears as though these are sparks caused by the new pellets hitting the burning ones. Is this OK? I've read my manual and it does mention popcorning, although I do not think this is what I am doing. The sparks do go high enough to hit the heat tube.

My flame is also quite high and wispy. Does this sound normal or should I turn my fresh air down to dampen the flame?

Thanks
Jon

JonV said:
New to the Pellet Stove Thing and I have a few questions.

I just purchased a Glowboy 120 and installed it in my finished basement. I have the stove connected to the appliance adapter which is connected to a tee. The pipe then goes vertical in the house for approx. 5 feet. I then have a 90^ elbow and a wall kit and the pipe terminates on the outside about 18" from the house. I have a cone on the end of the pipe.

All of this was purchased with the stove. The pipe is all BioVent.

My questions are this. When I started the stove tonught just to test it, I noticed a few sparks now and then coming out of the vent. I've searched around the forum and this appears to be normal. Is my assumption correct? I do not have any plants or anything near the vent termination.

While the stove was on, I did notice when pellets fall into the fire box, the unit sparks. I am not blowing pellets out of the pot. It just appears as though these are sparks caused by the new pellets hitting the burning ones. Is this OK? I've read my manual and it does mention popcorning, although I do not think this is what I am doing. The sparks do go high enough to hit the heat tube.

My flame is also quite high and wispy. Does this sound normal or should I turn my fresh air down to dampen the flame?

Thanks
Jon

Sparks flying out the exhaust would indicate to me that something is not right , possibly too much combustion air pushing unspent fuel thru too quickly. I`d have to think sparks should be contained in the fire box and surrounding areas by design and not any part of the fuel available to burn during and after it`s exit from the stove. That`s simply more lost heat and could present a danger outside too.

My understanding is that some sparks coming out of the vent (fly ash) is normal, as well as some sparking when new pellets drop into the pot. As long as the stove is buring efficiently, I don't see a problem.

When I burn corn it tosses all sorts of sooty ash outside. I suppose to a much lesser extent it does it with pellets too. What you are seeing might be dust or sparks burning as they are taken upwards into the flue. Keep an eye on it and I bet you will find its the pellets, not the stove doing it. Before doing anything to the stove change pellet brands for a bag or 2 and see. If thats the case the others will still be alright to use just dirty to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.