New to the site and looking for Thermostat help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harman

Dec 18, 2010
NH
I have a St Croix Prescott pellet stove with an analog control panel. I am trying to hook it to a thermostat. I've done everything it says to do in the manual but the blower won't go any higher than low and the pellets won't feed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Does the box say 24 volt?

A 120 volt stat will not work. There is also a jumper you need to move on the board. See attachment

Attachments

• prescott jumpers.jpg
    prescott jumpers.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 246
It says, "this thermostat provides electronic control of 24 VAC heating and cooling systems."
As far as the jumper, it doesn't have 4 pins only 3 so i didn't understand where it needed to be but i tried both positions. 1 position runs the stove regular and the other position runs the blower on low and won't feed.

I think this stove has whats called maintanence fire so you save the igniter. It should feed but really slow. But it sounds like the stat is not making the switch for the stove board to see it. Disconnect the wires at the stat and jump them together. See if the stove goes to high fire.

Beast said:
It goes to high fire when i jump them

Then the stove doesn't like this stat or the stat is NG. Hopefully you can return it. I would look for a millivolt stat they also work on the 24 volt stoves.

Thank you J-Takeman. You have been a big help. I will look for the millivolt stat tomorrow.

Smokey the Bear- Yes I used the red & white terminals.

Beast said:
Thank you J-Takeman. You have been a big help. I will look for the millivolt stat tomorrow.

Smokey the Bear- Yes I used the red & white terminals.

Just checking because there is that yellow one, it is likely that the mercury in it doesn't present a low enough resistance for the stove to see the connection as closed.

The Honeywell doesn't use mercury it's digital. I disconnected my old mercury one that was hooked to my furnace and connected it to the pellet stove and it's working sweet so I'm just going to switch the tstats since the new one works the furnace just not the pellet stove.
Thank you guys so much for all of your help. I will be sure to recommend this site to other pellet users :)

Beast said:
The Honeywell doesn't use mercury it's digital. I disconnected my old mercury one that was hooked to my furnace and connected it to the pellet stove and it's working sweet so I'm just going to switch the tstats since the new one works the furnace just not the pellet stove.
Thank you guys so much for all of your help. I will be sure to recommend this site to other pellet users :)

You must have tried the Honeywell T8775A1009 which is the digital round unit with a thermistor in it.

Honeywell also has several that start out with T87, their universal unit T87F is one with a mercury unit in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.