New to the site. Just bought a saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ribs1

Sep 1, 2009
Michigan
www.cponsite.net
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site. I just bought a saw on the recommendation of users here. I've been browsing for a while.
I just picked up a Dolmar 5100s. Luckily, I have a dealer only a few miles away. Paid $439. Seems like the right price.
I look forward to all the info available on this forum.

Growing up, we heated our house with wood for over 10 years. Unfortunately, my dad never let me handle the saw. My job was splitting a stacking. I split about 5 cords per year with a 6 pound maul. I have to say that I am a little afraid of my new saw. I will be watching the safety videos on youtube and hopefully looking for a mentor around here to help learn how to use my new saw.

I will be purchasing a pacific energy summit insert pretty soon, but I thought I should get the saw first so I can get busy building up my wood pile. Luckily I already have about a cord of cherry split and stacked to get me started.

ribs1 said:
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site. I just bought a saw on the recommendation of users here. I've been browsing for a while.
I just picked up a Dolmar 5100s. Luckily, I have a dealer only a few miles away. Paid $439. Seems like the right price.

Growing up, we heated our house with wood for over 10 years. Unfortunately, my dad never let me handle the saw. My job was splitting a stacking. I split about 5 cords per year with a 6 pound maul. I have to say that I am a little afraid of my new saw. I will be watching the safety videos on youtube and hopefully looking for a mentor around here to help learn how to use my new saw.

I will be purchasing a pacific energy summit insert pretty soon, but I thought I should get the saw first so I can get busy building up my wood pile. Luckily I already have about a cord of cherry split and stacked to get me started.

get some chaps and a helmet system

smokinj said:
ribs1 said:
Hello Everyone,

Ordered from the same dealer. Should be here tomorrow.

ribs1 said:
smokinj said:
ribs1 said:
Hello Everyone,

Ordered from the same dealer. Should be here tomorrow.
now find a long pice of wood 8-15 inchs in diameter and start marking a bunch of small Cookie's It will help you learn your saw with the video as-well

ribs1 said:
Hello Everyone,

Be careful, a 3.9 hp saw with a 3/8 's chain can be agressive. Learn how to let the saw do the work, try to keep the rpm's down a bit by letting it pull through the wood. Watch the tip.. esp if your cutting on a pile.
If your cutting on the ground it only takes a few times in the dirt to dull that chain up, make sure it's spitting out hamster shavings and keep an eye on the tension also.
Watch were you step and keep your chain sharp and your chaps on. BTW... I'd get a few chains (I'm using 3 Oregon 72 LG-64) They work really good.
I've ripped through over 10 cord since May 2008 and I don't look back with my 5100s

WoodButcher

Thanks for all the tips so far fellas.
I am planning on watching all the videos, wearing all the protective gear, and hopefully finding someone who knows what they're doing around here.
The only guy I know is my dad and he has moved to Florida. Maybe I can talk him into a visit soon. He used to love cutting wood.

ribs1 said:
Thanks for all the tips so far fellas.
I am planning on watching all the videos, wearing all the protective gear, and hopefully finding someone who knows what they're doing around here.
The only guy I know is my dad and he has moved to Florida. Maybe I can talk him into a visit soon. He used to love cutting wood.

take your time it will come to you quick enough. 10 years splitting you know alot more than most just getting there frist saw. (and you bought a darn fine 50cc saw)

Hi ribs1...that's a good saw, just let the saw do the cutting and don't try to horse it using any leverage. Even though you have a power saw just take your time like your getting paid by the hour...be deliberate. Read the owners manual so you clearly understand what it saying and you'll do fine.

I was in the same boat last fall and ended up with the same saw. I'm very happy with it.
You've been given good advice here. #1 is go slow and THINK and ASSESS before ever taking that chain brake off.
If you feel a bit nervous about a cut, stop and rethink it or wait until you can get some advice.
I am lucky to have an ex tree worker for a friend that has given me some good lessons and is there when I need him.
He stresses to ALWAYS keep your thumb wrapped under the bar.
I've been going crazy not being able to cut lately because my wife has been away for a couple months.
I've almost gone out back to cut anyway but talked myself out of it because no one would know I'm
missing until I don't show up for work the next day.
The tough thing about learning to use these tools is that you kinda need to have an aggressive posture, while your
brain might (should?) be timid. Like shooting a powerful handgun. You need to have a proper grip and stance to
harness the power and also be constantly aware of what the reaction will be if you loose that control for a fraction of
a second at the wrong moment.
I've only cut about 6 cord and am starting to get a pretty good feel for the saw. I hope I never get too confident.
See if there's a Game Of Logging instructional course near you. I hope to attend one soon.

This is a good saw, and I'm appreciating mine more every time I use it. I was cutting some logs up last weekend and making some undercuts due to irregular log position, and having two pounds less weight while I pulled up into the log was mighty nice.

I was a little worried about a full-chisel chain at first, but I now think that it is way safer than something less aggressive. The 5100 with a full chisel bites into a big log pretty quickly and stays there. Just keep the end of the bar away from the logs.

I've never used a good chainsaw before this one, and I'm glad I paid the extra $$$ and got a good, professional saw. BrianVT's recommendation put me over the edge on the decision. Thanks BrianVT.

My father-in-law may not dry his wood long enough, burn his new EPA stove correctly, or do many other things the way I would, but he knows how to run a saw and I've been taking lessons from him. There is not so much to learn (note: not trying to minimize the danger) if you are in an flat open field with widely spaced logs, but already I've been doing a lot of limbing, undercuts, close cuts in the woods, side cuts, etc. My advice would be to find someone who can teach you the details. Always keep the work area free of obstructions as much as possible. Always be thinking "what if?" Stop working well before you get tired.

ribs1 said:
Hello Everyone,

Well your miles ahead on most starters. 1) You already have respect for your new saw in regards for safety. 2) You are already working on your wood supply to have it ready for your stove to operate clean and safe. These are pretty much the top rules to go by here on the Hearth site. You get an A+ Ribs. Great start to a new obsession. Enjoy and Welcome to the forum. Safe sawing and burning.
N of 60

north of 60 said:
ribs1 said:
Hello Everyone,

Well your miles ahead on most starters. 1) You already have respect for your new saw in regards for safety. 2) You are already working on your wood supply to have it ready for your stove to operate clean and safe. These are pretty much the top rules to go by here on the Hearth site. You get an A+ Ribs. Great start to a new obsession. Enjoy and Welcome to the forum. Safe sawing and burning.
N of 60

I know there was a reason my dad never let me operate the saw. I wish I could find a safety class but I don't think there is anything like that around here.

ribs1 said:
north of 60 said:
ribs1 said:
Hello Everyone,

N of 60

I know there was a reason my dad never let me operate the saw. I wish I could find a safety class but I don't think there is anything like that around here.

if there is the guy where you bought your saw will know here's some good video's by stihl http://stihldealer.net/videolibrary/

Welcome to the forum Ribs, and I agree with some of the other posters, sounds like you are getting the right sort of start... You have a good saw, and while you need to get more comfortable with using it, sounds like you have the right attitude about wanting to work safe. It is also good to hear that you are working on building up the wood pile before gettng the stove...

As a couple of addendums on the safety gear stuff -

First, don't forget your feet, chainsaw boots are an important part of your gear - there are several good brands out there, but if you can afford them (and they are NOT cheap) I think the Matterhorn brand chainsaw boots are the clear winners in the "best boot" category - taller and more layers of kevlar than the other brands, Gore-tex lining so your feet can breath at least a little, while still being water proof, spike proof sole, and so on. They are even the most comfortable boots I've ever owned...

Secondly chainsaw gloves - again I think there is a clear winner, and these are a bit more affordable - The Timberworks chainsaw gloves, I know Amicks sells them, I'm not sure about other sources, they definitely seem to be harder to find than the more common Husky gloves. (If you do the search, you can find a review I posted on them a while back...) In short the Husky gloves have minimal padding and the lowest rating the CE offers, plus I don't like the open top gauntlet style (catches lots of chips) and the cheap leather work glove style fit... The Timberworks gloves have more of a "technical" glove style that fits better and has a velcro closure at the top to keep the chips out. In addition they have much more padding, which gives them the highest CE rating for protection (Both gloves meet US OSHA standards, but the EU has several standards based on the speed of chain the glove is supposed to be effective at stopping)

Gooserider

Thanks for the replies so far. Contacted Ken Lallemont about game of logging classes. Closest is about 600 miles away.
I will look into those boots. Looks like about $289. Recommendations about best chaps?
Thanks

ribs1 said:
Thanks for the replies so far. Contacted Ken Lallemont about game of logging classes. Closest is about 600 miles away.
I will look into those boots. Looks like about $289. Recommendations about best chaps?
Thanks

Thats another debate you can get them from 6-9 ply kevlar what they do is clog up your saw and stop the chain.with that said a 50cc saw and a small bar 6 ply pair is more than enough. baileys,ebay,local dealer's all carry them.

ribs1 said:
Thanks

You will find lots of options on chaps, ranging from number of layers of padding, to types and styles. There are no clear winners like there tend to be in boots and such. In general more layers will give you better protection, and don't cost much more, but some will say that makes them heavier and stiffer to get around in. I don't have a big problem with my 9-layer chaps, but...

Chaps come in different styles ranging from regular pants w/ the pads built in, to "full wrap" chaps that go all the way around your legs, to "open back" chaps that only cover the front 3/4 or so of your legs, with just a couple of buckle straps on the back side...

The pants are claimed to to be most comfortable, but also tend to be most expensive, and obviously are harder to take off in public when you aren't cutting... Full wrap chaps are also mostly a bit more expensive - some folks claim they offer more protection against odd angle hits, or the tendency of the saw to pull the chap around your leg in case of a hit, but there isn't any real evidence of this that I've seen in accident studies. Also some claim they are better in brushy conditions because they are less likely to get hung up on stuff. Downsides as you might imagine are hotter and stiffer than open back chaps, plus arguably a bit harder to put on and off. Open back chaps are maybe the most popular and tend towards lower cost - they tend to be a lot cooler, especially in the summer, but do sometimes get hung up in brush, and obviously don't protect the backs of your legs. OTOH they are quick and easy to get on and off, and I will sometimes also just undo the leg buckles and let them flap between cutting sessions for even more leg ventilation.

Some folks even do multiple pairs for different conditions - open backs in the summer for relative comfort, full wraps for winter time / wet conditions for the added warmth and weather proofing.

I have a pair of 9 layer Stihl open back chaps that seem to work well for me, doing mostly firewood cutting or light felling, and I wouldn't mind reccomending them, but don't see them as outstanding... A lot of other folks have the same sort, and seem happy with them. I've also seen lots of good reports about LaBonville chaps, with the caution that they have a wierd sizing system - read the directions on how to order, or you are likely to get a pair that's to short.

There is somewhat of a shortage of really good "test reports" on chaps and other PPE - for some reason most guys aren't willing to stick a saw in their leg to find out just how good their chaps REALLY are :cheese:

Note with all PPE, and chaps in particular, how you take care of it can have a MAJOR impact on how well it will work in a situation where you do "field test" it... Read and follow the wash and care directions on your chaps carefully - they DO need to be washed regularly to keep the pads from matting up, but you must be careful to avoid bleach, and use the proper soaps and cycle settings on the machine, etc... Helmets can be damaged by exposure to certain solvents, and so on... Learn how to care for your PPE so that if you need it, it will take care of you...

Gooserider

Not sure if anyone mentioned this one....

but it's also a good idea to use the chain brake whenever you need to reposition yourself, especially when limbing.

-Mark

Not sure where you are in MI but Ken is having a class in Baraboo, WI on 10/11 (See thread in the Wood Shed). Should be a lot less than 600 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.