New to the site, thanks in advance for answers on looking for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tidepops1

Jan 25, 2014
Nashville
I have a 2300 sq ft ranch style house with a full basement built in 1969 and I am looking for an insert to heat my house upstairs. I was looking at the Buck 94 because of the size but the dealer told me that bigger isn't always better and that I should look at the Lopi freedom [he sells both] I guess my question is why would the Lopi be better than the Buck, Lopi is rated at a max of 2250 sq ft and the Buck is rated at 3000 sq ft. Here in Nashville my options are pretty limited not many dealers around, prices quoted were installed Lopi with install kit 5000.00 and Buck with kit installed was 4800.00, My other options were Jotul, enerzone, napoleon Thanks

I'd fit as big of a box in that FP as you can. To quote the quote "you can always build a smaller fire in a bigger box, but you can't build a bigger fire in a smaller box."

More fire power comes in real handy with the low temps we've been seeing.

Welcome to the forums !!

Does the 2300 sq ft include the basement measurement? Or is that the area of the main floor where the insert will be installed?

Both stoves will do the job. The main issue will probably be getting heat distributed somewhat evenly throughout the house. Ranches tend to be hot at the stove room end and cool in the bedrooms due to the linear nature of the layout.

Does the 2300 sq ft include the basement measurement? Or is that the area of the main floor where the insert will be installed?

Both stoves will do the job. The main issue will probably be getting heat distributed somewhat evenly throughout the house. Ranches tend to be hot at the stove room end and cool in the bedrooms due to the linear nature of the layout.
2300 is the main floor, does using the fan only mode on my ac/heat pump unit help with distributing warm air through the house, thanks again

That depends a lot on the hvac system. Most are designed for moving much hotter air. However, if this is a heat pump system with fully sealed joints and fully insulated ductwork, supply and return, then the answer is maybe. One very successful solution is to blow the cold air from the far end of the bedroom hallway back toward the stove room. This helps cool down the stove room and warm air will replace the displaced cool air. This can be accomplished as simply as placing a fan on the floor at the far end of the hallway, pointed toward the stove room. Or with an insulated duct and fan in the basement doing the same job.

I'll echo what others have said about getting the larger size. I faced the same delimma, and I'm glad I bought the larger. For overnight burns I wish I had even more capacity....

If I get too hot I just choke it down and turn the fan down. Buy the biggest stove you an fit in the insert

Status
Not open for further replies.