New to the stove, hoping for some pointers.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbie_haeg

Nov 14, 2016
Kennesaw Ga
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums posting wise, but I used various articles last winter in regards to seasoning my wood for this winter.

I was wondering if you guys had any information on silent flame stoves, my girlfriend and I purchased our house last year and it was equipped with the stove. I'm not sure of the model number or where to even find it. It worked very well with some kiln dried wood I bought last winter, but our fires only last around 4 hours before I let it burn out before bed. I'm curious about over night burns and how to go about loading my stove for the night, and I'm also curious about routine maintenance you guys perform on stoves similar to mine.

Any information would be awesome, I can't seem to find much on silent flame stoves on the internet and I'm trying to get the most out of it.

Thank you in advance and I'm excited to be apart of your discussions and learn as much as I can. a7295e1fa9f261d1de39e7e0e9305322.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the group. I have zero knowledge on the Silent Flame stove. Sorry. Not much help there! You will likely be advised to aquire a moisture meter to verify how dry your wood is . It really makes giving advice on stove operation much easier if the moisture content has been verified (20% or less seems to be the golden rule). I perchased a meter on ebay for roughly $15 bucks delivered. 2 sets of battery's later it still works fine. I also bought a infrared temp gauge on ebay to moniter stove/adjacent wall temps etc. Same money. Works like a charm. Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some first hand knowledge on your stove.
You may want to search for model identification on the back of the stove. A model description will help others with advise. Good luck. Enjoy the warmth!

Welcome to the group. I have zero knowledge on the Silent Flame stove. Sorry. Not much help there! You will likely be advised to aquire a moisture meter to verify how dry your wood is . It really makes giving advice on stove operation much easier if the moisture content has been verified (20% or less seems to be the golden rule). I perchased a meter on ebay for roughly $15 bucks delivered. 2 sets of battery's later it still works fine. I also bought a infrared temp gauge on ebay to moniter stove/adjacent wall temps etc. Same money. Works like a charm. Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some first hand knowledge on your stove.
You may want to search for model identification on the back of the stove. A model description will help others with advise. Good luck. Enjoy the warmth!

Thanks for the reply! I was actually just researching moisture meters and plan to purchase one asap. Probably should have bought one before I bought a cord of wood, but it seems to be burning okay at the moment. As for the temp gauge I didn't even think of that! Good advice!

There are many threads on moisture meters here in the Gear Forum.

Reactions: robbie_haeg
Before you go getting meters and toys, best to be sure the stove works right. Are the doors sealed and if so are the gaskets in good shape, ect. But from the picture and the soot above the pipe going into the thimble, I would be more concerned about what shape the chimney is in. If it's nor been cleaned, get it clean then worry about toys. Also googles your friend. There's half a dozen sites that sell parts so they should be able to tell you something about it. There's been posts here on them too.

Reactions: robbie_haeg
Before you go getting meters and toys, best to be sure the stove works right. Are the doors sealed and if so are the gaskets in good shape, ect. But from the picture and the soot above the pipe going into the thimble, I would be more concerned about what shape the chimney is in. If it's nor been cleaned, get it clean then worry about toys. Also googles your friend. There's half a dozen sites that sell parts so they should be able to tell you something about it. There's been posts here on them too.

Thanks for the heads up zig. That soot above the piping was there when we moved in and I was a little concerned of a leak from the pipe or something but it since hasn't grown and I was just going to wash it off one day. I also searched the posts on the page and every site I found ended up being a dead end. :/

As for our chimney we had it cleaned right before we started to use it last winter and they said everything looked good, no cracks or anything of that sort. The only problem they mentioned was that we were missing the flue cap.

Thanks for the reply and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.