New to this forum- Dutchwest (VC) Sequoia Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARodVt

Nov 15, 2007
Northern Vermont
Hello from the Northeast Kingdom. I'm new to this forum but not to forums in general. I have a wood stove that I have burned good seasoned and at times green wood in and have had good results with. This stove has heated My familys home for over 10 years now and has never let us down. At the times of early and late winter we tend to lose our power alot, somtimes for days on end. I mention this because we also have at time used this same stove to cook our meals rather creatively I might say. At any rate we have become very good at using our stove whether for heating or eating. My question is what some of you fine folks may know about my wood stove. Whether or not you believe this is a good stove and/or what characteristics you may know about it that I may not know. Until last night I didnt even know who it was that made my stove but a friend of mine turned me onto this forum and said that there is some excelent and knowledgable people on here that might provide some insight on what I have for a stove. Any and all opinions are welcome. My stove is a Consolidated Dutchwest/ a division o VCI Model; Sequoia FA455. Fuel type; wood/coal. mfg date. 0039.

I burn with this wood stove all winter long and have never had a problem. I have always burned between 2-4 cords of wood a year every year with a mix of yellow and white birch , rock maple, soft maple, oak , ash , beech nut as well as all our paper waste through the winter. Typically I try to start and finish the year burning white birch just because it seems to heat alot better for that time of year without blowing us right out of the place. Another thing to maybe point out is that I religously brush my chimney at the begining of every burn season. I have a stainless steel metalbestos stove pive that leaves the main floor of my house and goes up through the second floor ,through the attic and leaves the house with about 4 feet sticking above the roof line. Please let me know what you think about any and all of my goings on .. Thank you for your time Aaron.

nobody is ignoring you,its just that you ask hard to answer questions. I dont have a clue 4 an answer 4 you but im sure some one here has. check back in several days. not every one logs on every day.

when the right people see your post, you will get an answer.

Ok ??????...... All I want to know is; what can people who know more about my stove tell me about my set up or my operation of what I personnally think is a good stove. Good day sir... Aaron. :)

Sounds like you have much of the operation down pat. I would not recommend burning your paper waste in the stove. Way too much ash and potentially overfiring problems as well as pollution issues with colored ink. I'm not anywhere as knowledgable as many on this site but I believe this is set up to be a catalytic stove when burning wood, with the option to remove the combustor should you choose to burn coal. If it is a cat stove, then the paper would really be a no-no. If it is a cat stove, are you operating it that way, and is the combustor in good shape?

Thank you for your reply. I believe that this is a catylitic stove but I honestly do not know how to tell, and what was the part that you were asking about and where is it so that I may check on it. My wife empties the ash pan so the more ash the more she has to empty. Gives her somthin to do . HaHa. ;-P

Yes, that was a cat model - designed and built by VC here in VT - Not a hold-over from the Asian (earlier) models. It certainly worked well, as was evidenced by the listed clearances (42" as I remember!).....

You should be able to see the round cat converter up in the firebox top. You also will want to make certain that your bypass valve seals well - also other gaskets (ash pan, etc.)

That is model 2160 (I think) and this is the owners manual:
http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/2001049_Sequoia.pdf

a pic of the stove is here for posterities sake.....

(Note - this pic shows an illegal and dangerous - not to code - installation!)

Attachments

• dutchwest_sequoia.jpg
    dutchwest_sequoia.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3,349
The combustor is located under the top plate of the stove which is removed by opening the front door and removing one of two bolts that holds it in place, and opening the side door to remove the other bolt, then lifting the plate which is somewhat heavy so it may be a "honey do please" operation. :down: Follow this link for a pdf manual of a stove at least quite similar to yours, if not the same stove you have http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/2001049_Sequoia.pdf. Learning about the care and operation of the catalyst will allow you to operate the stove much more efficiently, with less creosote buildup in your chimney and far less air pollution as well as giving you better long burning capabilities. Hope this all helps.

I love the looks of that stove. I want one.

It has an impenitrable fortified kind of look to it, kind of like a Sherman tank. I kind of like the looks of it too, kind of..

jpl1nh said:
It has an impenitrable fortified kind of look to it, kind of like a Sherman tank. I kind of like the looks of it too, kind of..

My thought also. Needs a turret gun in place of that kettle.

Webmaster said:
Yes, that was a cat model - designed and built by VC here in VT - Not a hold-over from the Asian (earlier) models. It certainly worked well, as was evidenced by the listed clearances (42" as I remember!).....

You should be able to see the round cat converter up in the firebox top. You also will want to make certain that your bypass valve seals well - also other gaskets (ash pan, etc.)

That is model 2160 (I think) and this is the owners manual:
http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/2001049_Sequoia.pdf

a pic of the stove is here for posterities sake.....

(Note - this pic shows an illegal and dangerous - not to code - installation!)
Hmm and with the 42" clearance that typewriter and table would soon be history! Arod (Vt, not the impendingly wealthy NY one, right?) we're just having fun at your expense here. Actually that is a nice stove and it really is pretty cool looking too in its own very unique way despite our comments. Feel bad for you, one post and you've had your stove compared to a toilet, a sherman tank, and we've mounted a turret on it. How's that for a welcome to the forum! :-/

It's the bunker model for survivalists.

BeGreen said:
It's the bunker model for survivalists.
Sounds just like what you need for a Northern Vt winter!

Arod you have had the stove 10 years and today you found out it was a cat stove? I guess you have not been cleaning the cat too often?

It amazes me how well i does it work damper down meaning when the cat is engaged? I just wonder how well it would work with a clean cat?

Excues me it was Arod not Afraud

Aaron, one other thing I noticed in your original post is that sometimes you burn green wood. It sounds like you've been using it like an ordinary old wood stove and not taking advantage of the catalytic combustor which if utilized properly can make your stove hugely more efficient, like 1/3 more efficient! Read the pdf manual Craig and I referred you to. Your combustor may or may not need replacing, the manual will explain how to clean it and then how to tell if its working correctly. So, when you use the combustor, you cannot use green wood, just won't work and its not good for the combustor either. I used to think burning wood was just burning wood, shove it in the stove, light it, put more in if your cold. I've learned that really there is MUCH more to it if you're interested in learning and it will help you use your stove more safely, use less wood, and allow it to do what you want it to do. The manual is a great place to start and this site has tons of information that can help.

Gentlemen. I love it. Whoever said this is the way to welcomed into a forum is 100% correct, I couldnt possibly be happier to read all your comments. I too am the' joking' type so I love to hear it also. Thanx again to you guys who put up the replies with the link to the owners manual I read it front to back this morning and printed off a copy to take home with me as well. From what Ihave read it has taken me many years to learn what I read in about a half an hour this morning. Lots of trial and error but I would say I've got the thing down pat now, also there is a control on the stove that I did not realize was there. So I look forward to playing with that a little bit. Elk I'm not sure but did you call me a fraud or my ARod counterpart. I assure you it was not me that just signed for almost 200 million dollars, otherwise I would'nt have been the one who just stacked 6+ cords of wood it would have been one of my staff. :roll: Thanx again folks I can tell already that this is going to be a fun forum to belong to. Thanx again Aaron.

By the way I forgot to mention directly, that yes, the woodstove in your picture Craig is exactly the wood stove that I have. Thats a great picture of it. Believe it or not but that is the exact same Kettle that my wife bought for me for my birthday this last year and that we use everyday on top of the wood stove . That is a very strange coincidence. Thanx again! Aaron.

Status
Not open for further replies.