new to this forum...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redwood

Mar 27, 2012
I've noticed a few threads about Thelin pellet stoves;
I have an option to purchase an older Thelin Parlor Pellet
[guessing circa 1995?] It's around $400. Works, but nothing
has been updated/replaced [motors/controls etc.] It's the model
w/ out the auto starter....It looks like the current 3000 model, except
for some exterior metal panels on the front sides. I'm guessing this
will need some service parts in the near term due to age,but wondering
if parts are hard to find etc. I'm in Northern California; I think the nearest dealer
is about 140 miles away.....thx. for any info. Looks like an interesting stove!
Anyway, lots of folks here seem to have great feedback on these things.....

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully some Thelin pros will be along shortly to help.

Otherwise that seems like a good chunk of money for a stove approaching 20 years old.

I recently acquired a Gnome of the same era and use it in my camp up north. Parts are readily available as they have changed little over the years. If the stove is sound firebox wise I would not hesitate to pay 400 bucks for it. In my opinion it is a great stove and the fact it has built in battery backup is icing on the cake.

I would want to see it running first. If you can get it for $200-$300, I would jump on it. But as Smoke said. A 17 yr old stove w/original parts/motors. It may run 10 more years without anything other than cleaning. But it may not also.

A good cleaning. Cleaning the entire exhaust passage/channels within the stove, removing both blowers and motors to blow dust bunnies out of motors and lube with SAE 20 (3-n-1 oil/ Blue bottle) , along with scraping impeller for combustion blower, squirrel cage for convection blower, and lubing and maybe repacking the auger with grease. Make sure air intake passage is nice and clean (all the way to the burn pot).

Just a few ideas on things to do if you get it.. There are some good online places to get parts. Some stuff may need to come from the dealer. But most motors fan be cross referenced and had for about 1/2 the cost.

Welcome to the Forums.

Thelin stoves run on dc motors and are not prone to the same problems as most pellet stoves. The brushes need to be changed every couple of years so you don't wear out the armature on the motor. The combustion motor and convection blower are actually just one motor. Parts are a little pricey but easily obtainable. The biggest concern with these is the electronics as they are more complex than others. These stoves are heavy cast and very well built so unless there is a cracked firebox you should be okay. Definitely see it running and make sure all 3 heat levels work and also make sure the clean mode works. They are very cool stoves and throw a lot of heat. There is a sensor that monitors for negative pressure that tends to get clogged and will trip the overheat red light, keep the orifice open with a pipe cleaner and you should have no problems. They also only use 24 watts of electricity so are very inexpensive to run.

Welcome.

Welcome! Let us know if you get the stove. I'd offer the owner $300-350, tops.

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully some Thelin pros will be along shortly to help.

Otherwise that seems like a good chunk of money for a stove approaching 20 years old.
Welcome, worked on a couple of these Hobbit stoves, as long as there is no flood damage to the inner castings or it did not get involved with 911, offer him $200 and take it for $300.==c

Status
Not open for further replies.