New to this... Need some guides

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
Hey All,

First time wood burner this coming winter. My wife and I just bought a house in Northern NJ. Anyone have a good first time burner guide that I could get my hands on. I have read a few of the posts on here. I have a really good chance of getting as obsessed with this as all of you are... Free wood, free heat. Looking to learn everything.

Thanks,
Kevin

woodheat.org has some great articles

The quality of the fuel dictates how much success you will have. Truly dry, seasoned hardwood will serve you unbelievably well. Learn that art, and you will be a very happy burner...

Whatcha got for a stove?

Welcome to the forums, Kevin. As suggested http://www.woodheat.org is a great site with multiple sections covering just about everything you want to know. Also, Woodstock Soapstone has a whole list of articles including:

Installation guide: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/wood_stove_Install.html
Basement installation problems/solutions: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/basement_install.html
What makes a good chimney system: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/good_chimney.html
Masonry chimneys, which are very common: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/masonry.html
Prefab (metal) chimneys: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/prefab_chimney.html
Wood burning basics: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/wood_burning_basics.html

Just going to be keeping the Waterford 104 going... It's small but for a small house. If it's not enough, the one thing I have already learned from these forums is that there's always room to upgrade...

You'll probably be suprised just how much heat you'll pump out of a small stove. I just installed a englander 50 / 13 something, it's a smaller stove, in a smallish house and If I'm not careful I heat the little misses right out of the house. Good luck wiith it.

Thanks. We close November 16th... I'll have a fire going at 5PM. I can guarantee that. The one thing that I have been reading about in the forums is really setting up a a few years in advance. Would anyone suggest buying like 5 cords now and saving like 2.5 for next years burn or is it just as good to get it early spring and dry it out for 8-9 month? Ultimately would like to be a year ahead. Going to read the first time burner guide put out Canada CMHC-SCHL tonight... I'll have 50 questions tomorrow.

k3c4forlife said:
Thanks. We close November 16th... I'll have a fire going at 5PM.

Get the chimney cleaned first.

Ha, we are closing at 12PM, I have the sweep coming at 3, fire at 5... Really excited to learn the new stove. I never had one growing up. Currenly my wife and I are living at my mother-in-laws. We had a month inbetween the apartment and the house closing. She has a massive Columbia wood stove. Max wood length has to be like 26" or so. I have been learning all the big things on that with improperly stacked, 24" damp wood haha.

Dry wood is the deal. If your stove is a non EPA, then next summer you'll have to decide whether you want to continue heating with wood, and if so, you probably want to pick up a newer more efficient unit. It will save you many times over and in many ways to have an efficient clean burning stove. The most practical is you'll just use less wood, etc. You can read it all here.

Controlfreak is right on with the newer stoves. I remember growing up, we'd load stove and would burn hotter then heck for a while then cool down unless we shut the air just about off. this newer stove runs for a couple of hours with just a few sticks of wood. Much nicer. You'll love it.

Considering I just bought a house at the age of 23 and I'm pretty much limited to grilled cheese, french toast, and any other conbination of cheese, eggs, and bread (trust me there arent many other combinations other than egg and cheese sandwiches), I cant afford a new stove. Ill look into the rebates, but I thing Im gonna have to work with what I have...

I bought my wood for this winter. Three cords of cherry. I'm not happy about it, but this house wasnt really in the plans until about a month ago.

I already have my green stack started to switch off to next year.

k3c4forlife said:
Hey All,

First time wood burner this coming winter. My wife and I just bought a house in Northern NJ. Anyone have a good first time burner guide that I could get my hands on. I have read a few of the posts on here. I have a really good chance of getting as obsessed with this as all of you are... Free wood, free heat. Looking to learn everything.

Thanks,
Kevin

1) If you don't have your wood in already for this year then forget this year and start planning for next. Seems like the biggest challenge for newbs is dry firewood. To ensure that you do not fall victim to this start gathering next years wood now. Seriously. Right now. Stop reading this and go find and cut a load of firewood. Never pass up free/cheap/convenient wood. Always be ready to score. And for crying out loud build a woodshed.

2) If you are in doubt of your set up have a professional fix/install it

3) Soap stone stoves are an expensive and unattractive fad

4) When you upgrade that Echo make sure you do so with a Stihl and I don't mean some 42cc 14" bar POS. Get a real man's chainsaw fu-cryin-out-loud.

5) Pine is outstanding firewood. This is the last time I'll tell you this with a straight face. From now on I'll tell you that it causes chimney fires.

6) Pine causes chimney fires

7) Get a Fiskars splitting axe. If you can't decide between the 4.5lb super splitter and the 2.25lb Pro Splitter quit being so cheap and get both.

8) No stove, no matter how well built, designed and installed will perfectly and evenly heat your entire house. Ever. So don't expect it to. Temperature will increase as you get closer to the stove, and vice versa.

9) A cord of wood is 4' x 4' x 8' neatly stacked or 128 cu ft.

10) A full size truck (3/4 ton or better) with modest side racks will easily haul a cord of wood.

11) Make sure you have a 3/4 ton (or better) truck

12) The best wood is free wood. With the exception of cottonwood there is no bad wood so don't ask.

Bigg_Redd said:
k3c4forlife said:
Hey All,

Thanks,
Kevin

1) If you don't have your wood in already for this year then forget this year and start planning for next. Seems like the biggest challenge for newbs is dry firewood. To ensure that you do not fall victim to this start gathering next years wood now. Seriously. Right now. Stop reading this and go find and cut a load of firewood. Never pass up free/cheap/convenient wood. Always be ready to score. And for crying out loud build a woodshed.

4) When you upgrade that Echo make sure you do so with a Stihl and I don't mean some 42cc 14" bar POS. Get a real man's chainsaw fu-cryin-out-loud.

5) Pine is outstanding firewood. This is the last time I'll tell you this with a straight face. From now on I'll tell you that it causes chimney fires.

7) Get a Fiskars splitting axe. If you can't decide between the 4.5lb super splitter and the 2.25lb Pro Splitter quit being so cheap and get both.

8) No stove, no matter how well built, designed and installed will perfectly and evenly heat your entire house. Ever. So don't expect it to. Temperature will increase as you get closer to the stove, and vice versa.

10) A full size truck (3/4 ton or better) with modest side racks will easily haul a cord of wood.

12) The best wood is free wood. With the exception of cottonwood there is no bad wood so don't ask.

Quoted for epicness! Especially the pine commentary! :lol:

k3c4forlife said:
Considering I just bought a house at the age of 23 and I'm pretty much limited to grilled cheese, french toast, and any other conbination of cheese, eggs, and bread (trust me there arent many other combinations other than egg and cheese sandwiches), I cant afford a new stove. Ill look into the rebates, but I thing Im gonna have to work with what I have...

I bought my wood for this winter. Three cords of cherry. I'm not happy about it, but this house wasnt really in the plans until about a month ago.

I already have my green stack started to switch off to next year.

Kevin, welcome to the forums, and CONGRATULATIONS on buying your first house !!!

Ignore the man behind the curtain, he's alittle "gruff"
buttkick.gif

What stove do you have? How's the set up? Pics would seriously help alot here, I think.

Cherry seasons kinda fast, so you might be OK there.

Oh, and there is always quiche, frittata's, rice extends alot of stuff ;-) Cleans up alot of left overs !!

Bigg_Redd said:
k3c4forlife said:
Hey All,

Thanks,
Kevin

Redd . . . this has got to be one of the best posts you have ever written!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.