New to this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1910capecold

Jan 8, 2018
holden ma
Hi Guys
So I am super new to the wood stove crowd. I apologize for my newbness ahead of time.
I have a 1910 cape we fully rehabbed. Its roughly 1800sf. The basement is a field stone basement with some dirt/cement flooring. The walls are getting repaired as there are some leaky area as well as old windows down there that leak. I live in Mass and we recently had a killer cold streak. The basement is just too cold with no heating supply down there.
I have been searching the idea of a wood stove and found a beautiful Vermont castings vigilant 1977. From reading on here it looks as though its older technology yet very efficient. My question to you, being so new to this is this a good answer to heat my roughly 1500sf field stone basement/
Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys
So I am super new to the wood stove crowd. I apologize for my newbness ahead of time.
I have a 1910 cape we fully rehabbed. Its roughly 1800sf. The basement is a field stone basement with some dirt/cement flooring. The walls are getting repaired as there are some leaky area as well as old windows down there that leak. I live in Mass and we recently had a killer cold streak. The basement is just too cold with no heating supply down there.
I have been searching the idea of a wood stove and found a beautiful Vermont castings vigilant 1977. From reading on here it looks as though its older technology yet very efficient. My question to you, being so new to this is this a good answer to heat my roughly 1500sf field stone basement/
Thanks in advance!
That is from the time period when vc was still making great stoves. But they were great for their time new stuff is way more efficent. But if you want to heat from the basement insulate the walls first. You will be very unhappy with the results otherwise

yup what bholler said. when i crank up the basement stove it takes a full day just to heat the basement walls no insulation. then i get some heat from the stove.