New to us P61-2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msmith56

Apr 8, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hello, I just picked up a used P61-2 for 6 bills. The stove is in need of a little work but I think with some work it be our new main stove . I have a PC45 that people have helped me with and I also have a XXV downstairs that is a little under powered sometimes IMHO. What I'm looking to do with the P61 is replace the XXV. Although the model number is a P61-2 it does in fact have an igniter and the switch for the igniter.

Here are my thoughts on this, the P61 has more BTU output than the XXV but the XXV is also a bit more pleasing to look at. I know the end goal is more efficiency and the ability to heat the down stairs portion of our home. As with our PC45 I was going to get the trim kit to dress up the P61-2 a little. The problem is that I don't know if that can be done as the P61 has a different door on it from it being older and the ash door is not recessed for the tile.

My question is this: Has anyone found a trim kit for the older stoves that will fit over the face of the fire door? And if not, will the new fire door work with the older stove and how would one go about purchasing one?

Last edited:
Do you have a manual for the stove? That will give you part numbers (or should anyway) that you can Google. The only manual online that I found seems like it uses the same trim as the newer P61, but not knowing what your door looks like, it could be a later model than yours.

Seems to me there was a thread a couple years ago on getting tiles installed for the older ash doors. Unfortunately my Google-fu isn't working as well as it usually does so I can't find it :(

Hello, I just picked up a used P61-2 for 6 bills. The stove is in need of a little work but I think with some work it be our new main stove . I have a PC45 that people have helped me with and I also have a XXV downstairs that is a little under powered sometimes IMHO. What I'm looking to do with the P61 is replace the XXV. Although the model number is a P61-2 it does in fact have an igniter and the switch for the igniter.

Here are my thoughts on this, the P61 has more BTU output than the XXV but the XXV is also a bit more pleasing to look at. I know the end goal is more efficiency and the ability to heat the down stairs portion of our home. As with our PC45 I was going to get the trim kit to dress up the P61-2 a little. The problem is that I don't know if that can be done as the P61 has a different door on it from it being older and the ash door is not recessed for the tile.

My question is this: Has anyone found a trim kit for the older stoves that will fit over the face of the fire door? And if not, will the new fire door work with the older stove and how would one go about purchasing one?
don't know if this helps but my P61A has manufacture date of 2012...
IMG_1788.JPG

Hello, Wanted to give everyone an update on this. Today I took the door off of the PC45 and put it on the P61. The hinges and the door handle line up but there is one issue. The pin / arm is too big for the cutout in the stove itself. It looks like the rope gasket and everything else would seal properly. The pin piece I know is removable because years ago I had to replace the glass in the PC45 because I broke it and had to replace it. I'm thinking that is all that would need to be done to the stove to get the newer door to work. Has anyone else tried this?

I had an older P61a that was honey brown with the old gold door. The new style door fit fine. I also got a new ash door with the recess for the tile but also had to get the new skinny ash pan that would fit with the new ash door then I got the Nickel Trim kit and a scenic tile. I also painted it black and put an extension on the hopper to be a 2.5 bagger. :)

Attachments

• HarmanP61orig.jpg
    HarmanP61orig.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 147
  • HarmyB.JPG
    HarmyB.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
Hi Don, That really dressed it up quite a bit! Can you please tell me where you got the door from? Was it online or through your dealer. I would be looking to do the exact same thing that you did. Very nice work!

Hi Don, That really dressed it up quite a bit! Can you please tell me where you got the door from? Was it online or through your dealer. I would be looking to do the exact same thing that you did. Very nice work!
Thanks
Yes, that fire door must be ordered thru your local Harman Dealer

Actually you can also get it online from someplace like Stove King, but if you are unsure of what exactly you need, your dealer is probably best.

Status
Not open for further replies.