New to wood burning couple of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troyr_2000

Oct 28, 2008
Southern Indiana
I recently bought a fireplace insert at Menards (made by Vermont supposedly heats 2500sq ft), I know it not the greatest but thats what I could afford. Questions are, the blower doesn't seem to put out enough air, can I speed this up? Or can I just replace it with a bigger one? What is the best way to get the heat throughout the house, I've heard running a fan, turning the blower on the furnace on to circulate the air, just wondering what works best. I burned last night for about 5-6 hrs the stove was supper hot and the air coming out was very hot but there just isn't much of it, the room only got to 80 outside air was 35ish, its a big room 28' x 30' with cathedral ceilings. Like I said I am new at this and the stove isn't that great but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm... big azz room...only burned for 5 or 6 hours....room got to 80. Sounds like its pumping pretty good to me. Remember also, that unless you have good air circulation, the peak of that room was probably 110F. Are you also heating other parts of the house with this??

Big room. Is there a ceiling fan? Turn it on and run it backwards so it sucks the air up.

I would like to get the air throughout house as best as I can. There are 2 ceiling fans in the room but I was running them blowing down, I thought since heat rises I would want them blowing the air down no?

troyr_2000 said:
I would like to get the air throughout house as best as I can. There are 2 ceiling fans in the room but I was running them blowing down, I thought since heat rises I would want them blowing the air down no?

Nope, don't fight nature, help it along. Heat rises, but can't really be pressurized at the ceiling, so the result is that it created an "eddy" current from top to bottom. Running the fan in the "up" direction will actually speed this process up, creating a better air flow with the warm air traveling back down the walls.

Have a fan at the back of the house blowing cold air back towards the stove. This will set up a convective current that will cause warm air to return to the back of the house.

CT-Mike said:
Have a fan at the back of the house blowing cold air back towards the stove. This will set up a convective current that will cause warm air to return to the back of the house.

Ditto on dat. Done do be doin what he said.

d.n.f. said:
Big room. Is there a ceiling fan? Turn it on and run it backwards so it sucks the air up.

Another benefit of running the ceiling fans "sucking up" (in the clockwise direction) is the reduction of the drafty feeling you'll often experience with the fans blowing down. Since the airflow is more divided at the edges of the room it's not as noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.