New to wood burning game

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Topdabadawg

Aug 26, 2019
Michigan
I am looking to get a wood stove insert. The problem is that I have a one piece fireplace with a triple wall chimney. Is there a self contained wood stove that I can install in a hearth opening? I really don't have the room to install a free standing stove. Everything I see requires a masonry chimney to function.

This sounds like a zero-clearance fireplace. If so, you'll need to determine its make and model to see if the manufacturer permits an insert installation. Many do not.

You may be forced to completely remove the existing appliance and chimney. Then reuse the chase and alcove for the installation of a more efficient appliance and proper modern chimney. There are modern fireplaces that are actually made to heat! Inserts are generally made to be inserted into an existing masonry fireplace/chimney which you don't have.

You may be forced to completely remove the existing appliance and chimney. Then reuse the chase and alcove for the installation of a more efficient appliance and proper modern chimney. There are modern fireplaces that are actually made to heat! Inserts are generally made to be inserted into an existing masonry fireplace/chimney which you don't have.
Can you make a recommendation for a fireplace that would fit the bill?

Can you take some photos and upload. That will help a lot.

Can you make a recommendation for a fireplace that would fit the bill?
First we need to know what is installed for dimensions. It would also help to know how large an area you want to heat and how open this area is to the rest of the house.