New to wood burning, Help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metschick15

Oct 9, 2008
Stroudsburg PA
I purchased a home in August with an existing wood stove but have never used a stove as an adult.
It is an EFEL stove which I gather is pretty old, however, when the home was inspected, the stove/chimney was inspected and is in great working order.

Problem is that I am unfamiliar with the terminology and therefore am having a bugger of a time with the owner's manual.
It tells me to open the flue damper fully by rotating control lever on flue collar to a horizontal position. Where is this? in the stove?

I have figured out what the shaker handle is, the ash pan handle and the air inlet handle which controls the draft. Other than that, I am clueless.

It tells me I have to have the damper in the OPEN position when firing. Where do I do this?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Well, the flue collar is right where they chimney pipe comes out of the stove. There's a short collar there with apparently has a damper control on it. A good picture would help. ;-)

The flue collar is where the stove pipe connects to the stove. Look for a handle or lever there.

If you can post a picture or two of the stove, maybe we can put some labels on the picture.

PS: Are you burning wood or coal?

I dont have a picture of the stove right now, I can do that tomorrow though...

Just checked the back of the stove... there is nothing where the pipe connects to the stove, no handle or lever.
The only things on the back of the stove are the air inlet handle which goes from min-max and the shaker handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.