New to Wood Stoves need help with installing stove with rectangle opening.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob Daniel

Sep 15, 2009
SE Kansas
I have a wood stove that I just bought used that says Harvard on the front of it, it is a fireplace insert with legs so it can be used as a stand alone. It has a retangle opening on the top, but I am needing to go to a round opening. It is going in a metal shop with no insulation and there is a whole cut in the wall from the people that owned the shop before me. I need to run a chimney up out of the stove and then through the hole in the metal wall(side wall of the shop, not roof). What type of adaptor or plate and pipe would I need to use to do this. Like i said wall has no insulation just metal tin. I need to find the most economical way to do this, I live in the country and dont think I have any codes to worry about, but i want it to be safe and affordable. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

Attachments

• top of stove.jpg
    top of stove.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,251
  • front of stove.jpg
    front of stove.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 844
Would it be possible to provide a picture or two of the stove?

I uploaded the best pics I could get. It says harvard on the front handle, on the back label it says "The Choice", oh and what size of pipe would I need to vent this? thanks for all of your help.

That helps. It looks like an old dogger. What is the size of the rectangular opening? If you look at the links Hogwildz provided you will see several options depending on the size of the opening. I'm guessing you would go to 8" round but so far that is just a guess.

I think the opening is about 13" long and 4 or 5" wide, but I will try to measure the opening tonight, if I ran a triple wall section through the tin wall could I run black pipe to the roof on the outside of the shop and put a cap on it? didn't know if it would rust or hurt anything to do this. Again it is a metal building with metal tin roof, it has no wood around the outside of the building.

If the door opening is 18" wide, this stove is a direct copy or twin of a Buckstove 26000. Buck parts are offered at Stove Parts Unlimited, a sponsor here I think.

Attachments

• buck5.jpg
    buck5.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 622
Buck stove 26000 before and almost after, gotta weld a hinge and final coat of flat black and somehow stick this heavy boy in the fireplace.

Attachments

• IMG_0200beforebuck.jpg
    IMG_0200beforebuck.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 653
I realize this is an older post, but I just got a Harvard wood stove exactly like this, except mine is has the stack and is set up as a freestanding unit. Any information on this wood stove? Year? Who was the Harvard made by? How much heat will this thing put out. It has the 20" opening which makes it comparable to the Buck stove 27000.
Thanks for any help

Status
Not open for further replies.