New to woodstoves, have a quick question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dpregs

Nov 20, 2007
Southeastern CT
Hello all,

This is my first post, and I am so excited to have found these forums.....even if it is after I already purchased a new wood stove insert. We bought a Quadra Fire 4100i and it is being pro-installed on Dec 11th. My question is, do I have to clean the chimeny first? It was cleaned two years ago and has seen very light usage in those years.

Any advice on that and more is greatly appreciated!

Nice stove. Is there a stove already in there that this one will be replacing or is it an open fireplace? If open fireplace, does the install include a liner and blockoff plate? For peace of mind, I'd certainly get the chimney cleaned first. Once the liner is in, it can't be cleaned again without removing everything.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It is going into a open fireplace. There is a Stainless steel pipe going in, not sure of the block off plate though. I will have to contact the company to ask that question.

Sounds good. Is this an interior or exterior chimney on the house?

Get the chimney cleaned. Even a few fires can build up creosote, especially in exterior chimneys.

Well, I talked to the chimney sweep and he said that the company that is putting in the wood stove won't do it sometimes if the chimney is not cleaned recently. (whether or not true I am not sure). So, I thought it would be a good idea anyways to have it cleaned prior to the install, thanks for the advice! He is coming the morning of the woodstove install, I hope he is done before they get here!

Once again, thanks for the advice....now I have learn some stuff about woodstoves.......it is my first one! Pictures indeed will follow!

Status
Not open for further replies.