New to woodstoves - What is this for cover for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradhoosier

Dec 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Hello

I bought a home this summer and it had a woodstove in it and I'm new to fireplaces and have simple question - What is this piece?? The stove is a Napoleon 1600C and I think this piece is just a cover over the ash grate. If so, do I leave this cover on the ash grate (that leads into an ash box below) during a fire? It just sits on top of the grate and is simple to take off - it included a simple metal hook to take it on/off.

Attached is a pic of the "grate cover" and the bottom of the stove (by the grate) (dirty I know)..

Regards,
Brad

Attachments

• grate3.jpg
    grate3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 279
  • gratecover5.jpg
    gratecover5.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 289
many stoves with grates for ash dumps have a cover that is left in place during use and lifted out to rake ashes out between fires, looks like this is the purpose of your mystery part, leave it installed in the stove while burning. most stoves which have this setup are not intended to be burned with the ash dump open due to the potential for massive air leakage through the ash pan leading to an uncontrolled fire

Status
Not open for further replies.