New top, same problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Put the new top on, did a small burn in fire and guess what- this top warped too! Da--!

Gonna call the stove shop to see what they suggest. Have a feeling I am going to have to buy a new stove.

Bummer, sorry to hear this. That really sux. Did you check the top for flatness before installing the new top? Is your dealer working with you on this?

Going to give them a call tomorrow. Started investigating new stoves just in case.

Sounds odd that it warps just from a break in fire. Shooee! Hope Jot and your dealer help you out on this one.

I had to have my top lid bead blasted when it was new. When it would get up to temp, here would come that awful qwisy headachey paint smell that I could never burn off. Was sure glad to finally get around that.

Good Luck to you my friend.

Sounds odd that it warps just from a break in fire. Shooee! Hope Jot and your dealer help you out on this one.

I had to have my top lid bead blasted when it was new. When it would get up to temp, here would come that awful qwisy headachey paint smell that I could never burn off. Was sure glad to finally get around that.

Good Luck to you my friend.

Perhaps its not the new top that has warped? The original over firing to "well above 700" may have warped the area on which the top rests. This could explain why you can see the flames and possibly why the gasket does not fit correctly. A level might not be accurate enough to determine if the horizontal edges of the castings are too distorted for a top to fit as intended.

Had the same thought. That is why I would check the top with a straight edge. if it is true, then I am wondering if the body needs a little careful angle grinding to level it out. If you're considering the stove a loss, call around and see if there is a machinist that might take the project on.

I wonder if the stove itself is a bit of a lemon. We've all overfired a stove at some point, but to have the top casting warp, along with the air leak Remkel had previously, makes me wonder.

Hmmm...sounds fishy. I am wondering parts of the stove body are moving around, not actually warping. A cast top warping under a break in fire is almost impossible. You simply don't have the heat required to make it happen. Cast is tough stuff (ask your break rotors and exhaust manifold.)

Agreed, something is fishy in Denmark, or is that Norway. That's why I would like someone with accurate measuring equipment to check alignment and surface levels of the mating surfaces. It sounds like there is a high spot, screw or something that is not letting the top seat correctly.

Well, you can see the curve in the top. The edges are seating correctly and when I place a level onto the center of the stove top both sides are up off the top. I am pretty certain it is the top that has curved.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

Put the new top on, did a small burn in fire and guess what- this top warped too! Da--!

Gonna call the stove shop to see what they suggest. Have a feeling I am going to have to buy a new stove.

I must have missed something is this a new stove????? Gonna call the stove shop- where did you get new top??????? What about yor warranty I got anew stove from Jotul for chipped paint?????

I've heard through the grapevine quality control on casting material from various mfg is a problem right now. Just a rumor though.

Maybe I missed it, but just to be certain: There was no visible warp on the new top before the first fire? and it appeared right after or during that initial fire on the new top?

Maybe I missed it, but just to be certain: There was no visible warp on the new top before the first fire? and it appeared right after or during that initial fire on the new top?
Yes. Did not see any warp when I put the new top on.

Damn, that is quite simply redonkulous. Fingers crossed that you can figure something out with the dealer.

Yes. Did not see any warp when I put the new top on.

This is perplexing. How are you determining that the top has warped? If you set it on a truly flat surface does it rock or can you see daylight under it?

I must have missed something is this a new stove????? Gonna call the stove shop- where did you get new top??????? What about yor warranty I got anew stove from Jotul for chipped paint?????

Yes. New stove. Remkel had a bit of an overfire and thought he warped the top casting. Seems like the stove has some issues. Between this and a previously mentioned air leak, I am wondering if the stove had some quality control issues.

Reactions: pen
Same here.

This is perplexing. How are you determining that the top has warped? If you set it on a truly flat surface does it rock or can you see daylight under it?

He mentioned previously that it is sitting flat and that the level is raised on both ends of the casting.

I a little surprised I have not run into warping issues with the plethora of used stoves I've purchased. Hopefully Remkel did not admit too much when he acquired the new top casting as I feel the warping issue on the original may not have been his fault to begin with.

He mentioned previously that it is sitting flat and that the level is raised on both ends of the casting.

That's what confuses me. Unless he has the worst luck in the world, what are the odds of having a break in fire cause warping to a brand new top plate.

Even if he did somehow do terrible sins against the stove, and measure a false temp, and really overfire it, it shouldn't warp like that unless the bugger was glowing plus some on the first go in my opinion.

pen

That's what confuses me. Unless he has the worst luck in the world, what are the odds of having a break in fire cause warping to a brand new top plate.

Even if he did somehow do terrible sins against the stove, and measure a false temp, and really overfire it, it shouldn't warp like that unless the bugger was glowing plus some on the first go in my opinion.

pen

Agreed. Also, unless this stove top was sitting at 900+::F for the twenty minutes that the stove was 'overfired' I'd question that the original warping was due to user error. I've had several cast iron stoves site at 800+ for some time and had no warping. And these were VC stoves that are known for their shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.