New Toy at Chateau Loco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
2 weeks ago, a neighbor's Cherry tree fell... or at least a big branch.

It went across our yard, pulled out the power, landed atop the composter and broke the roof on our 1926 garage. Only breached the eaves though.

Pronto my neighbor had a good tree guy take care of it. I told him I would prefer it cut and stacked and showed him where. Poof, done. Good cherry. Two good stoves to tend this winter. Dead Cherry too. Better.

I sold a Scooter, a 49cc hellion. With a couple spare bucks, I bought a 5-ton Electric Log Splitter. I looked at DR, ebay.com and then saw a good deal from Northern Tool with free delivery to the local store. Bingo. Less than three bills. Came in today.

Post crossfit training tonight, I pulled a cherry log in. Press the button, pull the lever. Poof. Split cherry log. Take the half, do it again. Poof, another split. I did 6 logs in 4 or 5 minutes.

I dunno how long it will last. It was built in China or Taiwan. I will tell you this: I will use it to split up all the remaining Cherry,and then move on the Locust that has been cooling out for 18 months. When it breaks, I'll pick up the 12 lb. maul and sledge again...

Wow.

It'll last longer than you think. I've worked mine hard enough where it doesn't owe me a dime.

Matt

+1 I bought a chain sharpener, that when finally dead, will have saved countless dollars and hours. Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.