New toy for the new year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elevenMracing

Dec 7, 2014
Northeast Wisconsin
I loved my Harman PF120 in the house so much ended up buying a used Harman P68 for the shop. I wasn't actively looking but a buddy of mine who was moving to a new house and converting to wood offered me such a good deal I couldn't say no. It's not the fanciest looking thing but I'll put some race car stickers on the toilet tank eventually. Installed it this afternoon, loving it so far. I am now completely independent of LP if I choose to be!

20141231_140124.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, serious overkill filter on the compressor. Stove needs a Banks Turbo sticker. I'll be at BRI raceway next Labor day weekend setting up fireworks for and all American show

Reactions: elevenMracing
Banks Turbo sticker is on the tailgate of the Dodge! Compressor filter system was done to bring in outside air since it gets awful dusty in here quite often. Got filter for free off a scrapped out forklift, the rest of the plumbing & supplies were under $20. Filter looks like it will last about 10 years so I think it'll pay for itself. Plus I just love overkill!

The filter will probably out last the compressor. Keep and eye out for a cast iron pump or two stage to upgrade when it goes. I found a Quincy for $50 to replace an aluminum compressor and was far quieter and will probably last near forever.

I will look into that. Compressor in pic is about 15 years old and the only trouble it has ever given me was a gummed up reed valve making a ticking noise that made me nervous. Cleaned the valves, checked the rod and piston/cylinder, bolted it back together and fired it back up, good to go. I have always run good oil and changed it religiously. I'm honestly surprised the pump or motor hasn't given up yet though, many times I've had that whole unit too hot to touch while porting heads/manifolds and doing body work. I guess I got one of China's good ones there.

I will look into that. Compressor in pic is about 15 years old and the only trouble it has ever given me was a gummed up reed valve making a ticking noise that made me nervous. Cleaned the valves, checked the rod and piston/cylinder, bolted it back together and fired it back up, good to go. I have always run good oil and changed it religiously. I'm honestly surprised the pump or motor hasn't given up yet though, many times I've had that whole unit too hot to touch while porting heads/manifolds and doing body work. I guess I got one of China's good ones there.
You probably just signed its death warrant. To hot to touch is not really that hot especially with metal. I think most manufactures now recommend full synthetic. Reminds me to get another auto tank drain for the newer compressor put on the list of shop to do list:)

Hah! Yea it'll probably blow up tonight and throw the rod through my flat-screen (mounted directly above it).

You'll wind up liking that larger flush tank there. Less filling it up. Perfect shop stove!

Reactions: elevenMracing
Hey BTW, How big of a shop are you doing with that P68? Also how well insulated and ceiling height? Just curious. I know they can cover some area. I honestly bought mine for shoulder seasons to save cord wood in the beginning and end when you need heat but not much. I was pleasantly surprised that I would have no problem heating my house all winter with ONLY the P68. No doubt about it.

I see you are into racing. I live 30 minutes from KY Speedway and less than 15 minutes from the Florence Speedway. It's a dirt track.

Shop is 1200sq ft, sidewalls are 9ft with an open ceiling, peak is about 13ft. I have two ceiling fans turning slowly pushing hot air back down. Insulation is 6in fiberglass in walls and ceiling. The P68 heats it with ease. So far it seems that I'll go through about a bag a day with outside temps in the 20 degree range.

I am a former dirt track racer who took some time off to get married, buy a house, and have some kids. Picture is of my last car from 2009. I am currently in the process of constructing a new IMCA stock car to be run at a few local dirt tracks in northeast Wisconsin. It'll be a lot more comfortable working in the shop this winter now that I have that pellet stove.

Reactions: bags
Status
Not open for further replies.