New Toys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I recently added two accessories to my gear inventory:

1. General Moisture Meter. $30 at Lowes. I tested it on several pieces of wood both in the stack near the house and the big stash out in my wood lot back in the woods.
I got as low as 13% up to 27%. Yes, each piece was freshly split immediately before testing. I did get one reading that was 50%, maybe over since the thing started
beeping. But just a few inches away in the same split it was about 22%. When I tested the piece again a few minutes later I could not replicate the 50% reading.
This particular pallet was loaded with some beautiful water oak from a standing dead trunk that a neighbor gave me last winter. It has been split since February. I was hoping it would be ready this year. Not a spot of punk on any of it. It's about 2/3 a cord. Several tests from all over the stack yielded 17% to 23%. Higher readings coming from thicker splits. My hickory pile gave me surprisingly similar readings. These pieces felt much heavier, relative to size, but they also tested just under or just over 20%. Overall, four different pallets of oak and hickory tested good to go. Seems like I read something recently that this gauge probably measures about 5% high? Is that right? In that case, I am REALLY good to go.

2. Swisher Log Jack and Roller. $30 on sale at Tractor Supply. Really please to see how stout it looked as I assembled it. Heavier than I expected. I tested it on one long, down log out in the woods. It was about 12 inch diameter and about 20 feet long. Sort of rotted but still had some weight on it. This tool rolled it over very easily. I can see that in very wet, loose soil the support bar/stand could sink into the ground but that could easily be prevented with a small block of 2 x 6. I'll report back on this tool when I have a chance to give it a good workout.

So far, happy with both of these purchases.

Gee Kenster, you could have had my log jack. I've tried to give that thing away for many years now. I'll probably eventually remove the handle for use in a cant hook and trash the rest or see if I can make a cant hook out of it. It's pretty sad though. Bought from Northern Tools. Pure junk in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.