New tractor attachment coming - splitting cone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Pulling the trigger today thanks to some down "the shore overtime" from last week's derecho, I ordered a 3point pto auger from everything attachments along with a splitting cone. I've been back and fourth for a couple seasons on how I wanted to manage larger diameter tree lengths, I've been floating the idea with saving cash and possibly buying a new splitter with a log lift, although that didn't really make sense to me since I have a great splitter already.
For large 24" + rounds I've been doing a few different things to get them manageable so I don't hurt my back again, I've taken the straight grain stuff and split all rounds in half or quarters using a sledge hammer and wedges, I've flipped by splitter into the vertical position and put a large round in my front bucket on the tractor and carefully drove up to the splitter to cut in half, moving the round around bare handed or with a crow bar (time consuming and a pain to line the tractor up)
A few months ago I stumbled on a video, although a bit older showing a guy with a splitting cone being operated from the tractors pto on an auger, I had my light bulb moment and said that this looks like a viable option for me. With this setup you don't really split logs, you split lengths up to 8ft then cut to size with a chainsaw. The reality of this, is that this adds an extra step in processing, but it also reduces the chances for hurting myself on the big heavy stuff.

As much of an equipment/toy nerd as I am I just dont see this machine as being the answer to handling big rounds. As a person who has and is dealing with big stuff (much bigger than the stuff in the video) I still believe that noodling the rounds to manageable size is the most efficient way to deal with them. I didn't see a single log in that video cleanly split. That means you will be dealing with fibrous connections frequently.

@Jags I did think about that, but I get a ton of red oak and ash that seems to split pretty cleanly, I watched a few videos and most of the cone splitters broke hardwoods fairly clean, you will occasionally get fibrous connectors but hopefully not with hardwoods as much, guess I’ll be the Guinea pig on this

It will be interesting to get your feedback after a little use.
Indeed, my neighbor up the street from me has a load of log lengths sitting just waiting for me, mixture of oak, maple and ash, majority of it is between 24" and 32" diameter stuff, should be a nice break in.

I'm a bit jealous of the PHD. Can you mount a handle to help aim it? I've seen the TSC County Line models have one.

As much of an equipment/toy nerd as I am I just dont see this machine as being the answer to handling big rounds. As a person who has and is dealing with big stuff (much bigger than the stuff in the video) I still believe that noodling the rounds to manageable size is the most efficient way to deal with them. I didn't see a single log in that video cleanly split. That means you will be dealing with fibrous connections frequently.

Jags is right. Bad idea. I split mostly big stuff. 2-4footers on a hydro splitter in vertical mode. If the round is too heavy to maneuver onto the splitter then noodle it. Doesn’t take long and big rounds make lots of firewood.

I owned and used a cone style pto powered splitter for a few years. 6-7 cords per year. I always had a hatchet with me to chop the stringy wood apart. I think you’ll have a sore neck from twisting back to look, a sore leg from clutching the pto, a bunch of broken shear pins, and since pto doesn’t reverse you’ll get it stuck a lot. You also have no down force with a 3pt hitch so it will get tough to start the cone and also to keep the log from spinning. Be safe.

What the heck? It’s probably pretty cheap and might be fun. Maybe you can make some split rail fence.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Jags is right. Bad idea. I split mostly big stuff. 2-4footers on a hydro splitter in vertical mode. If the round is too heavy to maneuver onto the splitter then noodle it. Doesn’t take long and big rounds make lots of firewood.

I owned and used a cone style pto powered splitter for a few years. 6-7 cords per year. I always had a hatchet with me to chop the stringy wood apart. I think you’ll have a sore neck from twisting back to look, a sore leg from clutching the pto, a bunch of broken shear pins, and since pto doesn’t reverse you’ll get it stuck a lot. You also have no down force with a 3pt hitch so it will get tough to start the cone and also to keep the log from spinning. Be safe.

What the heck? It’s probably pretty cheap and might be fun. Maybe you can make some split rail fence.
The split rail fence does sound intriguing. It is certainly something I don't want to do by hand!

Oh and climbing on and off the tractor 1000 times since best case it a split log laying in the work area.

Hurts my knees and back thinking of climbing on and off so much.

Oh and climbing on and off the tractor 1000 times since best case it a split log laying in the work area.

Hurts my knees and back thinking of climbing on and off so much.
Just curious..,
Why would you be climbing on and off a thousand times?
The video shows how to move logs with the cone,plus there is the front bucket to move logs as well

Just curious..,
The video shows how to move logs with the cone,plus there is the front bucket to move logs as well
I would think that's a lot of stress on the shear bolts and gearbox.

Just curious..,

You’ll see.

Reactions: bholler
I have a splitting cone for the auger on my skid steer, and it is awesome. BUT: I can put ample down-pressure on it, reverse it, and spin it very slowly. It's also right in front of me, so I can see it well. I split the log once, lift it onto a pile of splits still stuck on the cone, release it from the cone by reversing the auger, buck it up, and split the rest of the way with maul or X27. Don't give up on your splitting cone before you try it--you may love it.

I have a splitting cone for the auger on my skid steer, and it is awesome. BUT: I can put ample down-pressure on it, reverse it, and spin it very slowly. It's also right in front of me, so I can see it well. I split the log once, lift it onto a pile of splits still stuck on the cone, release it from the cone by reversing the auger, buck it up, and split the rest of the way with maul or X27. Don't give up on your splitting cone before you try it--you may love it.
With a skid steer is a complete game changer I bet. Still a good addition to the attachment/toy collection to anyone. Lol. The point of you can reverse it and put weight on it, I am sure it makes a difference. Plus a skid steer uses less space around. Kenny will have fun with it I am sure but Highbeam made some good points. I can see it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
With a skid steer is a complete game changer I bet. Still a good addition to the attachment/toy collection to anyone. Lol. The point of you can reverse it and put weight on it, I am sure it makes a difference. Plus a skid steer uses less space around. Kenny will have fun with it I am sure but Highbeam made some good points. I can see it.
I'm hoping to get an offset hydraulic auger drive for my tractor FEL this year for similar reasons. I will be using a rock rather than a wood auger.

Reactions: lsucet
FYI, I had to cancel the order, the cone splitter manufacturer was a bit slow to get back with processing and that gave me extra time to cast doubt on the purchase itself, I'm sure the cone splitter would split great, but the fact that with pto power being one direction got me thinking what would happen if the inevitable happened and the wedge got stuck in stringy material.
I'm now just casually saving money for a large splitter that has a log lift.

FYI, I had to cancel the order, the cone splitter manufacturer was a bit slow to get back with processing and that gave me extra time to cast doubt on the purchase itself, I'm sure the cone splitter would split great, but the fact that with pto power being one direction got me thinking what would happen if the inevitable happened and the wedge got stuck in stringy material.
I'm now just casually saving money for a large splitter that has a log lift.

I split a lot lot lot of wood with a pto cone splitter. The cone does get stuck occasionally, it has 30 hp going through it, so not often. When it did I would raise the 3 pt and set it down with the round on top of another and split the round old school with a maul.

Im glad you didn’t buy it. It’s not a good idea. I scrapped mine.

Cones have a place, but as has been stated, it's usually on a skid steer or similar machine that can reverse the rotation and has good visibility/maneuverability.