1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New truck or trailer?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by mattjm1017, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    I can swing by with the Dodge, we'll throw the Camry in the bed and load the trailer with 12000 lbs .............................happy happy happy
    MasterMech likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ironpony

Loc:
    mid-ohio

easily pulls and safely, legally are two different things. not sure what you ratings are but please be safe.
  3. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Agree 100%...Pulling is easy, it's the stopping that will pose the biggest problem!
  4. mattjm1017

mattjm1017 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Well Ive decided that Ill keep the jeep since I just found out that I only have 6 payments left on it I thought I owed a lot more than that so that's some good news. Now Im searching high and low for a trailer. Ive narrowed it down to two from Lowes if I go that route or something used. I found this today Im thinking about calling the guy about it but I think his price is a little high. http://norfolk.craigslist.org/grd/3844528870.html Im guessing that I could get a decent amount of wood in that thing what ya think.
  5. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Better get that thing weighed before you buy it, looks like it's a heavy beast. Not sure what your Jeep will tow, but I would check before I spent the money. Good luck with whatever you choose, shopping is always the fun part for me!!
    mattjm1017 likes this.
  6. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Good idea I had thought about asking if he new the weight of it Im sure the jeep can pull it empty but maybe not loaded.
  7. Utilitrack

Utilitrack Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central ME
    I'll take my Tundra over the domestics any day. Just depends on your personal experience I guess, but my '11 Tundra is a beast.
    mattjm1017 likes this.
  8. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Love the Tundra's...But beast IMHO is an over estimate! Maybe a beast for a half ton pickup, But put 15,000 pounds behind it and pull it through the mountains and I will bow to the grocery getter and rename her "A Beast"!
    mattjm1017 likes this.
  9. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    I do like the Tundras they are some nice looking trucks but right now a new truck is just not in the picture since Im going to be paying off the jeep soon Ive decided its best to save that extra money for a couple months and get me a decent used truck to go with the trailer Ill hopefully be buying soon.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  10. Utilitrack

Loc:
    Central ME
    As I stated I have had a great experience with my Tundra, the 5.7 makes my previous Ford look like the grocery getter that you referred to. The OP is not looking to pull 7.5 tons over the Rockies, simply looking to get a decent truck for $12k or under, IMO a Tundra even a 10 year old one would be a more than suitable vehicle for his purposes, and built better and to last longer than the domestics.
  11. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Don't want to argue...But I remember hearing how great the little Toyotas were when they came out, then five years later almost all of them had major body rot. I would have no issue with owning a Tundra, I just don't understand why the owners always think they're driving a big boy truck when they buy one!!
  12. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I think that back then- cars in general had worse body rot. Was discussing this the other day- you just don't see rotted out cars/trucks like you did back in even the 80's/early 90's.I think they have the prime/paint/treat thing nailed now. Maybe Toyota had it worse than others, but it's all good now- as I see it.

"They don't make 'em like they used to"
    "Whew- good thing"
    Eatonpcat, Utilitrack and mattjm1017 like this.
  13. Utilitrack

Loc:
    Central ME
    It is more than capable for my needs, no pissing contest here. But please don't generalize about Toyota Tundra drivers...not everyone drives them or any other truck to be a "big boy" sometimes people find a very good deal on a highly reliable vehicle that suits their needs. Just passing a recommendation to OP.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  14. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Agreed...No pissing contest here!! I drove a Mercury Tracer back in the day!!
    Utilitrack likes this.
  15. Utilitrack

Loc:
    Central ME
    Dodge Aries K car for me, that was a "babe magnet!"
  16. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Done the K car myself my friend!! Seemed like a good idea at the time!!;)
    Utilitrack likes this.
  17. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I think my brown 1962 four door baby six cylinder Ford Fairlane is the winner. A real babe magnet. ;lol Got drafted right out of the driver's seat.

[​IMG]
    Eatonpcat and mattjm1017 like this.
  18. ironpony

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    I bought a CUMMINS for moving mountains, just happened to come in a Dodge.......................................
    funny how when you go bigger than an F350, Ford uses Cummins too............
    must be something Cummins is doing right

I also have a Toyota company truck, far from a truck IMO
  19. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Cummins is the best by far (IMHO, but I can't justify the extra cash for the Diesel)...Had a 91 F250...Best truck I've ever owned! I buy Ford's now, no other reason than I get the Z-plan pricing and I don't have to deal with salesmen!
  20. ironpony

Loc:
    mid-ohio

I know what you mean, my wife gets some sort of discount also, walk in give them the code to the sales manager and they hang thier heads and fill out the paperwork. When I bought the Dodge I really needed the deisel, probably have it the rest of my life. Has 110000 miles on it barely broken in, and its an 2002 high output six speed. It is garaged so hopefuly the body holds out.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  21. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  22. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Ive looked at that before and I like it. Its very tempting Ill have one car paid off in a couple months and saving that extra money for a down payment on something and that sure is nice.
  23. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I tow big stuff, and RVs. We go to these RV parks where men sit around drinking beer and talking about towing. Seems that diesels don't have much advantage in mpg when towing. I get 11 mpg when towing my RV trailer with a 7.3 diesel and my family and friends that use gas half tons get 10 on the same tow with similar trailers.

Point is that when you work them, both a gas and diesel need to eat. When cruising empty, the big diesels are better but with modern gas engines they are not much better. Honestly, my next truck will likely have a gas engine.
  24. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Always good to hear from someone that knows...I always thought that the diesel would out last the gas engine, but I guess you would have to do the math...Engine lifetime/cost of operation!
  25. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

In both cases, usually the engine is capable of easily outlasting the truck.
    Eatonpcat likes this.