New TV power use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I picked up a new sony 46" LED TV to replace an old CRT type TV. The energy star label had a range of $45 to $9 per year to run that size TV, the actual expected amount for this model is $5. I think what they did is power down the computer when its turned off as when its first turned on the channel defaults to the last channel viewed and its takes about a minute to fully wake up the remote.

The first internet connected TV I have had, I expect it will do all sort of wonderful stuff but its nice to be able to order videos and not have to deal with returning them in the morning. Only bummer is Amazon doesn't directly support this model yet so I have to use my computer to load a movie via the HDMI port.

I just about threw my back out getting rid of the old CRT while the new TV is 33 pounds.

Even my older LCD flat screen takes an annoying several seconds to turn on. It remembers the last channel though.

My other CRT is 230#. A 36" monster. Low definition is very obvious.

Congrats! Think about getting a Roku to play a huge amount of channels with an internet connection, including Amazon. With the Roku we dropped satellite/cable TV and saved a lot of money; also with an antenna we get broadcast PBS, CBS, Fox and ABC where we live.

Both our LCD TVs, one smart, one not-so-much, take time to boot.
Whether that's the result of energy saving features or handshaking to establish an internet connection I can't tell. Probably some of both.
Boot time doesn't bother me so much but channel tuning time does. I've noticed at hotels that some newer TVs take (IMO) too long to tune each channel as you go through them.

Congrats! Think about getting a Roku to play a huge amount of channels with an internet connection, including Amazon. With the Roku we dropped satellite/cable TV and saved a lot of money; also with an antenna we get broadcast PBS, CBS, Fox and ABC where we live.

We have the same setup. Roku for netflix and others plus an antenna for all locals in very high quality HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.