New u shaped design window ac with an inverter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Pretty neat new window ac design by Midea. Its basically a scaled down mini split. They just were awared an Energy Star 2020 most efficient appliance award. You can preorder the 8k for $279 right now. Compared to window units that run full speed on or off these things are going to offer some substantial savings. You can also open and close the window with the unit in place.

Here is some technical info they provided when I emailed them

We have confirmed that the units will modulate down to 2k BTU. At that condition the units will pull roughly 120W.

Based on the algorithm we use (that closely follows our mini-split algorithm) it is more common for the units to spend time operating slightly above that 2k level. For the respective 8k/10k/12k units the consumption at that capacity is around 147W/171W/190W. Let us know if you have any other questions!

vt72ibhugib3hdydrety.jpgScreenshot_20200221-165613_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Now if someone could make something like that, that would make heat also, there are tons of people who would be way in. Apartment dwellers who are stuck with electric baseboards (all 3 of my kids) should be all over them.

Now if someone could make something like that, that would make heat also, there are tons of people who would be way in. Apartment dwellers who are stuck with electric baseboards (all 3 of my kids) should be all over them.

Absolutely....I'd be all over one if it reversed the process like a true mini-split and could provide relatively affordable electric heat. Not as a primary source of hear mind you, but a backup at least.

Reactions: SpaceBus and maple1
Absolutely....I'd be all over one if it reversed the process like a true mini-split and could provide relatively affordable electric heat. Not as a primary source of hear mind you, but a backup at least.

They posted on Facebook their engineers are working on a heating version. All they have to do is put a 4 way valve in. From the production photo it appears to be using a mini split compressor. The front coil is also curved just like a mini split..

Reactions: begreen
Thanks for posting that. I’ve read a number of your posts on your mini-splits and appreciate the data you provide.

My husband started working full-time from home last fall and uses an office that has no heat or a/c (who thought building that in Texas was a good idea?). It gets some airflow from two adjacent rooms, but we know he’ll need additional cooling come summer. We don’t want to cool the whole upstairs unnecessarily just to help his office, and this type of unit looks like a great option. It’s more our level of DIY than a traditional mini-split.

They posted on Facebook their engineers are working on a heating version. All they have to do is put a 4 way valve in. From the production photo it appears to be using a mini split compressor. The front coil is also curved just like a mini split..

Neat.....I assume the price will go up if it can heat and cool. Still, a nice option to consider rather than installing a couple of mini-splits.

I wonder how durable such a unit would be if I wished to keep it in a window through the winter months and use the heat option on occasion? Given the window closes, I wouldn't get the cold air in. And I mean COLD air as I live in what we call the "North Country" of upstate, NY....An area which in a typical winter experiences very cold weather....Not to mention a lot of snow.

How do you figure out the payback? A typical 5000 btu a/c unit can be had for around $100.

I signed up for a 12k unit. I want to support the concept, and with my single speed 4 ton HP and shady lot, I struggle to dehumidify. This bad boy could solve that problem.

Far too many negative reviews for me to consider at this time...I like the concept but far too many of them died a very premature death or didnt work right out of the box...

Far too many negative reviews for me to consider at this time...I like the concept but far too many of them died a very premature death or didnt work right out of the box...

They havent even shipped the final product yet through Indiegogo where they are selling them?

Is this not what you are talking about?

• Haha
Reactions: begreen