New User; Advice Needed: Century S244 or Vogelzang Defender

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

19glendale

Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
Advice needed. I have never owned a woodstove before.

I have an 1800 sq ft house (3 floors including unfinished basement), built in 1946, in Northern Virginia.

I want to put a freestanding woodstove in the masonry fireplace. I have decided against an insert because the living room is small, I don't want the noise of a blower, don't want to rely on the blower for thermal exchange, and don't want the faceplates of an insert for aesthetics. I just want it for supplemental heat to my current natural gas.

I am trying to decide between the Century S244, Vogelzang Defender, or another small woodstove that would fit in the 25” high x 35” Wide / 28” wide back x 20” Deep masonry opening.

Any tips on removing the interior damper would also be appreciated. The chimney is lined with clay. I know I need to install a liner. Are there benefits to double wall liner versus single wall with insulation?

Based on my measurements, I will likely have to cut the legs of either stove a few inches, and that is in my overall plan. I have uploaded a picture of the current hearth if that helps.

Any guidance, tips, advice, or other information would be much appreciated. I want to get this done this year, in part due to the $300 tax credit.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1521247_10152128476320791_1674458802_n.jpg
    1521247_10152128476320791_1674458802_n.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 345
Welcome. One option would be to get an Englander 13NCi insert and not install the surround. Double-wall liners have been reported as having delamination problems. Go for a good single wall instead. For sure plan on a block-off plate for this installation. A blower will still be desirable to get heat out of the fireplace cavity. It could be a small, 6" table fan on the hearth blowing at low speed into the cavity.

Reactions: 19glendale
Status
Not open for further replies.