New User..Howdy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andive68

Oct 3, 2014
Maryland
Hello,

New user from Maryland. I have a 1985 Woodstock FireView Soapstone Stove that we love. We want to buy a used Vermont Castings model 1308 on CL. Are these any good? The name on the back is Warnock Hersey. We might get it for our basement (already fireplace/chiney) to heat that in the winter so the kids can play down there. Thank you in advance

Semper Fi
Andrew

Welcome. The 1308 would be the Intrepid ll, not a bad little stove. Be sure it is in excellent condition otherwise repairs could be a hassle and costly.

Reactions: Andive68
WOW, thanks for the quick responses. The basement is about 1000sqft, unfinished. It is already ready with an 8" SS Flue with a masonry/Brick chimney. The folks who lived here before had a Wood burning stove but is was broken and in poor condition and it was removed before we moved in. They are asking $200. Is this reasonable if it is in good shape?
Thank you
Semper Fi

$200 is not a budget breaker but give it a very careful looking over. You'll want to be sure it has not been overtired. Look for chalky grey paint. See that there is no warping, especially of the bypass damper, no cracks anywhere. The catalyst may be shot. If so it will cost about $100. Check that the thermostatic air control is working freely.

$200 is not a budget breaker but give it a very careful looking over. You'll want to be sure it has not been overtired. Look for chalky grey paint. See that there is no warping, especially of the bypass damper, no cracks anywhere. The catalyst may be shot. If so it will cost about $100. Check that the thermostatic air control is working freely.

Thank you for the advice. I checked it out and it seemed like it was in good shape. It was still dirty with wood and ash so I could not see any cracks on the inside. The glass was in good shape, doors closed nice and tight, the outside enamel was in great shape clean and shiny. Everything moved freely. I will clean it up and inspect the internals further and post pictures. For sure the first thing I noticed is the gaskets need to all be replaced. Speaking of which, where do you all get them online (gaskets).

UPPDATE 10/4: Opened it up and cleaned it as much as possible. Finally found the Catalytic, it is a CORNING long life 160-2521. It looks almost new but not sure how to tell if it is still good. I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how. Do you need to seal anything in there with Furnace cement? I know on my Woodstock I do have to cover some gaskets with the stuff. Manufacturing date is 0601 on the back of the stove. The refractory assembly and access panel all look good.
Thank you!
Semper Fi

Last edited:
Do you all recommend using the heat shield on the bottom of this unit? This is going to be installed in a basement, concrete floor and cinder block walls with an 8" pipe used with the old wood stove. The chimney is ceramic/terracotta/tile lined brick. Do you think it will "hurt" the floor (cracks,etc). I am almost done cleaning it up and replacing gaskets. Looking good!! I cannot wait to fire it up :)

Semper Fi

The floor should be fine without additional shielding.

I still have an intrepid 2. Heated my house fine. 1200 sqft. It's in the basement so really it heated 2400 sqft. It ate the wood though trying to keep the furnace from coming on. Nice little stove but I upgraded as it was in need of a lot of attention. You will enjoy it. Burn dry wood!

Thank you for the advice! We use the Woodstock Soapstone on the main floor to heat the house, or at least to avoid the heat pump from coming on as much as possible. Last winter it worked amazingly well but the basement was so cold the kids did not want to go down to play their games;hence us getting this little guy on CL.

Semper Fi

Thanks for all the replies. I just bought a double walled Selkirk stove pipe and elbow for this. The problem is the stove is 6" and the hole in my wall is 8". Do I need to get a double walled reducer (or expander depending on how you look at it) to connect it to the wall or can I get single wall? Thanks again!

Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.