New User need Stove Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MANIAC

Apr 17, 2007
Bridgton Maine
First of all Great Site! I have been reading through many posts and this board seems to have some very informed members.

With that said I am looking for some advice. My wife and I have a newly constructed 1200sq' log home in the Western Lakes region of Maine. Other than two small bedrooms and a bath on the first floor the home is basically wide open inside. Although we are not heating now with a woodstove we plan on heating with one when we are there during the fall and winter months. We have a masonary chimney for our furnace with an additional flue for when we decide to add a woodstove. We would like to get a Jotul, Hearthstone or VC type stove but are unsure of size given the wide open layout.

Any advice?

Eric

I don't sell them, but am familiar with the Napoleon brand of stoves (online at www.napoleonfireplaces.com).

They have a trio of steel woodstoves with great heat outputs, sized small/medium/large as well as a cool cookstove and some cast iron stuff.

Take a look at them. We love their gas stuff and have gotten good reviews on the wood stoves as well from our peers.

Reg

www.logsandgrills.com

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but what's the insulation like in the structure?

Also, wide opens areas like this are usually heated very very well with wood stoves.

Based on 1200 sqft though, you should be fine with a Jotul Castine, or a variety of Vermont Castings stoves. Do you have any preference regarding catalytic vs non cat technology?

Thanks for the early responses. Actually the exterior walls of the house are 6"w x 8"h D shaped pine logs. The roof is insulated with 4x8 rigid sheet (2 layers I believe.). I forgot to mention that the chimney is a center chimney and not exterior.

Based on the Castine specs it should do the job. I just did not know about the wide open second floor. I would rather not buy a stove that is too small. We want to use wood as the sole heat source when we are there and only use the oil furnace to keep the place from freezing when we're not there.

I would prefer a NC stove just from a maintenace point of view.

For curiosity, I looked at the Napoleon stove model 1900 (steel stove, 3.0 cu. ft. firebox capacity, accepts max 20" log, 85,000 btu max heat output) and the literature says it will heat 3500+ square feet.

The stove is a non-cat and vents with 6" pipe.

They also have some cast products that say they'll heat up to 1500+ square feet. From what I have heard, the steel stoves are the best bet for heating as large area.

Reg

Reggie,

Not sure where you got the information about steel stoves being better large area heaters than cast iron. I've never personally heard that before and can't really understand why it would be the case (Not attacking you, just asking :))

The Napolean 1900 will be WAY too much stove for that area. That comment is liable to start an argument, but oversizing that large probably won't be all that helpful. You could always look at one level larger in the Jotul line to be safe. Perhaps the F500 is the choice for you. It gives better burn times and has that side loading door anyway.

Uh, Reggie, you would not happen to be a Napoleon dealer, would ya?
:coolsmirk:

This is Maine we are talking about - the home of Jotul and cradle of VC and HearthStone!

It does sound like something in the medium size range would do very well, meaning the Castine would do the job nicely. Any house recently built must meet very tough energy codes, so it almost goes without saying that the house should hold heat well. In the VC line, you could go for the mid-sized unit also - The Acclaim - won't take as long of a log as the Castine, but is top loading so you can get a decent amount of pounds in.

Others here are more familiar with HearthStone....but do also consider Woodstock Soapstone, which has gotten high marks from most folks here. The good thing is that the vast majority of wood stoves out there today are quite decent. BUT, there are certain features that one may have over another, so when you start making the final decision you have to come up with the qualities that are most important to you..

For instance, if you are going to burn for long period of time - 8-10 hours overnight, then certain models...and catalytics like Woodstock can have advantages. Then again, a soapstone stove takes longer to heat from a cold start. Then there is the question of log length.

So my suggestion is to focus on exactly how you intend to use the stove both now and in the future - and they folks might be able to suggest one over another a little better.

Hi Maniac,
This is just my opinion, but I think I would go to a larger stove than and be on the safe side than to puchase a smaller on and have to push it.(especially since your log home has an open floor plan).
My reasoning is that if you buy a bigger unit you can always cut down on the amount of wood you load it with and dampenp it down.
I feel you can always be on the safe side with something bigger but you are done it you buy something that is to small.
Definitely, consult your dealer and maybe go to the next bigger size than the one he recomends.
Good Luck, and I hope you make the right choice.
John

Truth be told, the F500 Oslo has been the stove I have most considered. Well maybe I should re-phrase that, it's the best one out of all my wifes choices that I like. Side and top load in addition to front seem like very usable features which is why I don't love the Castine. Just wish the side load was on the right not the left on the F500 but oh well. The stove will only be used on weekends and vacations and I am rarely away from the house for more than 8 hours while we are using it. The dealer in my area sells the F500 in Blue/Black enamel for ~$2100.00. Seems fair?

Thanks again for all the input.

I would suggest looking at the firebox size first off. Figure out how many btu's/hr you want, and what kind of burn times between reloads you are after, which will calculate out the firebox size based on how many btu's you can get from a given volume of wood. Given that, pick a stove with your favorite features having at least your minimum firebox size.

Don't pay a huge amount of attention to mfgr specs on BTU output, burn times, or sq. foot ratings - those numbers can be 'cooked' different ways to fit what the mfgr thinks will give the best looking sales pitch, but firebox size is pretty much of a foolproof indicator. General concensus is that boxes < 2.0 cu.ft. have problems giving long burn times - you just can't get an overnight burn out of them easily. >3.0 cu. ft. boxes tend to be "blast furnaces" that are really only needed for big spaces. Most popular seeems to be the 2-3 cu.ft. range... However I think you will have to search very hard to find anybody here complaining about having a stove that is "too big" but you will see lots of people complaining about stoves that are "too small". I haven't done a statistically valid survey by any means, but it seems like more of the complaints about small stoves seem to involve Jotul's. I don't know why this would be, whether Jotul makes smaller stoves so that's what their dealers push, or some sort of flaw in their design or brochure numbers - just seems like what I observe.

Cat vs. non-cat is a religious arguement - some folks will say the cat needs more expensive maintainance - if operated properly a modern cat will last long enough that it doesn't impose a significant cost. There are some claims that it will give longer burn times, but that is debateable. OTOH, there are people who like 2ndary burn tube stoves because they give a more impressive fire to watch.

Material is another debate topic with no definite answers, in a wide open space probably any material will work well for you.

Once you figure out the size firebox you want, and what other features you want - flue exit type, loading method, log size, etc. I would say the biggest thing you should worry about is what the stove looks like - unlike the furnace that hides in the basement, a stove is a big "in your face" part of your living space, so the question of how it looks as "furniture" when you aren't heating is possibly as important as how much heat it can throw.

Gooserider

Maniac,
If both you and the Mrs. like this stove for the reasons you stated, sound like this is the one for you.
Sound like the options for loading are a major influence in your final decission and I don't think you can ask for anything more for this option.
Hope the wife and yourself are both extremely satisfied with your selection.
Best of Luck,
John

Hi , i would go with a Napoleon medium , or harman oakwood , or the lopi cast not sure what it's called bough top loders with afterburners .

MANIAC said:
Truth be told, the F500 Oslo has been the stove I have most considered. Well maybe I should re-phrase that, it's the best one out of all my wifes choices that I like. Side and top load in addition to front seem like very usable features which is why I don't love the Castine. Just wish the side load was on the right not the left on the F500 but oh well. The stove will only be used on weekends and vacations and I am rarely away from the house for more than 8 hours while we are using it. The dealer in my area sells the F500 in Blue/Black enamel for ~$2100.00. Seems fair?

Thanks again for all the input.

sorry to but in, but as far as i know jotul doesn't have a top loader . Maybe you mean vermont casting they have several top loaders , harman oakwood is another , and lopi just came out with one not sure what it's called.

Corie said:
That's the Lopi Leyden you're referring to alfio :)

yes that's the one. But napoleon as the best reputation out of all those i mentioned . And a better warranty to top.

It sound like you are primarily looking at cast iron stoves, perhaps for aesthetics? If so, the Castine should cover the needs of the cabin pretty well. But if a major margin of safety is desired, go with the Oslo. $2100 sounds like a good price. The blue-black enamel is really nice.

As an alternative, if available in your area, you might want to take a look at the Quadrafire Isle Royale for a big firebox, cast iron stove that is top loading.

Hey Buster, thanks for posting the follow-up on the stove. That's a great endorsement. I'm glad to hear it's working out well for you.

There are some real unique designs to the Encore Buster did not mention. The reason for the extended burn time is the secondary Cat combustor compartment has a secondary air thermoatically controled. Once the cat is engaged the secondary air adjust to hold that temp it self adjust. Using a sensor probe it automatically open or closes the secondary air inlet to control the desired heat range. If more heat is needed one can knudge the primarry air open which resets the stove to that temp range,

We are now in the skip season horrible rainy cold 30's no sun for a week It is real easy to fire up and take the chill off adjusting the wood loade down to 3 or 4 splits Me I using some bio bricks and 4 of those seem to do a great job or getting the stove hot enough that I can engage the combustor and get about 3/4 hours of decent heat knocking out the chill. A couple of night I have done over night burns and not restarted in the mornings but later afternoon I restart it up again. Car cleaning takes but 10 minutes or less and really is a non factor I clean it before the start of the season and at the mid point Replacement cost is about $20 per year over 7 years, not that much of a hardship for long clean burning.

Buster Glad to hear things worked out for you. Mine is working better than I ever expected

I have a cabin that we use occasionally all winter and it's not heated when we are not there. So in my scenario I needed a bigger stove to get the house warmed and I wanted longer burns. I bought a new stove and now have to get rid of my smaller one. My point is get the right one the first time, I would be up $650.00.

alfio said:
Harman has abetter product and better warranty to top .

At what point is the Harman a better product? is it its superior casting and enamaling or its fire technology is better? Its essembliers are better?
Perhaps they use better raw materials ? What part of the process makes it a better product?

Well having thought about everyones feedback and comments I am going to look at a Lopi Leyden and a Harman Oakwood this weekend. These two stoves have more of the features that I have determined are important and should have no problem heating my house. i think I like the Lopi Leyden better but I'll post back with my findings.

Thanks again.

Make sure you look over the latches on both stoves. No offense to the Lopi lovers but I think the latches and handles on the Leydan are kinda cheeseball. IMNSHO of course.

Edited per Craig's suggestion Makes no sense to enter into pissing wars sory. I removed any offensive language that did not further the original post

Status
Not open for further replies.