New user, Old stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilateapex

Jan 20, 2010
Eastern, KY
I am new to the forum and want to thank everyone in advance for the possible help and for the help I have already received by reading past posts. Now straight to the questions.

Purchased new house that has a wood burning hearth stove installed in the basement. I would like to use this stove for emergency heat (no power) and maybe some supplemental heat on the coldest of days. I am located in Eastern, KY. If I find I use the stove more and more I will replace it with a modern EPA efficient stove. Stove is a 1979 model Sierra Hearth Stove Classic Model 2000. Sierra Manufacturing Co. of VA in Harrisonburg, VA. Had sweep come inspect and clean chimney. I was surprised when we pulled the stove from the fireplace and all that was done is a pipe through a block off plate in front of the fireplace and the damper plate removed. Similar to a Slammer but in front of the fireplace. The chimney is 13X13 terracotta lined and it is 39 feet from the bottom of the fireplace to the top. Right above this fireplace is another fireplace on the main floor of the house and the two chimneys parallel each other. The Chimney is located on one end of the house with the bottom 1/3 surrounded by earth, the middle 1/3 surrounded by garage and the top 1/3 surrounded by garage attic and free air. The home is 1978 vintage and average insulation except for the attic which is very well insulated. The basement walls are also furred out and insulated. The chimney was very clean and it did not look as if they used it very often.

I plan to install a stainless flexible liner and connect it straight to the stove with a tee at the bottom and a clean out cap. The top of the liner will be connected to a termination cap and the cap sealed around top of the chimney. I will insulate around the top of the liner and where the liner passes through the existing fireplace damper that will be cut out of the way and a few bricks knocked out so the liner fits better.

Now for the questions.
1. Does my plan sound OK given the conditions?
2. Do I need to put the block off plate back in front of the fireplace opening? Or with the liner sealed top and bottom can I leave it out?
3. How do I operate the stove? Only adjustment is two knobs on the door on the side to control air into the stove. There is a 6” round hole out the back for smoke but no damper to control. There is a baffle in the fire box in front of the 6” hole.
4. Would adding a damper on the chimney liner near the stove help keep the burn more controlled? And more heat in the house?
5. How and where do I add a thermometer to the stove and where do I buy it?

I have a picture I will try to upload. Currently the glass is out of the front of the stove but I have some on order for replacement.

Thanks for taking the time to read and help.

Michael

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 307
Status
Not open for further replies.