New user with a new PE insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadillac Nick

Feb 5, 2010
Pittsburgh
I've been reading the forms pretty regularly for the past month and figured I would ask a few questions about my stove. I just bought a new Pacific Energy Pacific Insert for the fire place in my basement and it was installed on New Years Eve. We have been using it pretty regularly for a month now and love it. It burns great and heats the whole house because my chimney runs right through the middle. I was fortunate that I split and stacked 2 in fall of 08 so I have enough dry oak and locust for the winter. My question is this. If there is a power outage is there and harm in running the stove without the blower? Will the parts inside the fireplace get too hot or will it be fine? I see temps upstairs on my chimney around 100 degrees when the stove is running all day over the weekend and I didn't know if that was bad and would get hotter if there was no air movement. My Chimney is lined with not insulated if that matters.

Cadillac Nick said:
I've been reading the forms pretty regularly for the past month and figured I would ask a few questions about my stove. I just bought a new Pacific Energy Pacific Insert for the fire place in my basement and it was installed on New Years Eve. We have been using it pretty regularly for a month now and love it. It burns great and heats the whole house because my chimney runs right through the middle. I was fortunate that I split and stacked 2 in fall of 08 so I have enough dry oak and locust for the winter. My question is this. If there is a power outage is there and harm in running the stove without the blower? Will the parts inside the fireplace get too hot or will it be fine? I see temps upstairs on my chimney around 100 degrees when the stove is running all day over the weekend and I didn't know if that was bad and would get hotter if there was no air movement. My Chimney is lined with not insulated if that matters.

Your fine to run it without the blower on.
Just experiment with the air control. You may need to cut the air back a lil sooner, or may not have to any sooner at all.
You can run it without the blower though.

I have been running a PE Pacific insert for 5 winters now. Like Hog said, there isn't any danger to running the insert without the blower on, and experiment to see what works for your house. Sometimes, via the hotter chimney, the heat is better radiated to the ground floor, without the use of the blower.

The Pacific does like to run a bit hot. Make sure you shut down the air control slowly and early, once the fire gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.