New Vanguard Unvented log set Smell Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrelaplume

Feb 7, 2008
Eastern USA
Sorry for the length here...I want to get all the fact out. This site was reccomended and I hope I can find an answer.

We bought a 20 year old home where the prior owner burned wood in a masonry fireplace located in the family room which opens to the kitchen then the dining room / living room. The family room and kitchen have hard wood floors. The kitchen floor was installed about 9 months ago to match the exiting family room. The dining room/living room had new carpet installed about a year ago. All rooms were painted a year ago.. We had the sweep come to do an dinspection and cleaning. He said it was in good shape and did not warrant a cleaning....thought the entire inside (behind the glass ) is black--perhaps that is normal?

After two fires we decided we did not want the agravation but did want the 'pretty' as my wife calls it, fire. We narrowed it down to 3 options: 1) An insert; guaranteed not to smell, to throw enough heat into the house to heat the first floor and about $4K. Well we were not really looking for the heat, just the nice fire for occasional use and $4K was out of our budget. #2) vented log set. Dad has one of these. Huge roaring fire and it heats his room after being run a few hours.....but his room is pretty much enclosed where as we have a very wide open floor plan. We were told not to expect any heat BUT a nice flame. The downside here was the flu must be locked open. I was told this could let heat out of my house when not in use and perhpas even a draft in...note we 2 chairs on each side of the fireplace. Well, its bad enough to waste gas for a nice flame much less let my heat pump heat escape when not running a fire OR worse sitting there with a draft on me or having the smells of neighbor's fires coming in...STRIKE 2.

We settled for an unvented gas log set. I personally was fearfull of the condensation stories and smell stories BUT we were told none of that would be a problem in our home AND we could bypass those issues by just leaving the flu/damper open when in use. When not in use we could close the flu / damper and thus no heat pump heat could escape. Sounded good so we had it done.

So a few weeks into this, the thing has a nice flame, we run it with the flu open, shut the flu when not is use. No condensation. Only a little wiff of something now and then when we open the glass door set. So time passes and we become both brave and greedy. Lets try for some heat, what the heck, they said it would be fine.

Well damn! That sucker poors heat into the house with the flu closed. Sadly it stinks to high heaven too. In fact as soon as the flu is more than half closed the smell starts. I have been told its a kerosene smell... not sure...its not a rotten egg smell though.

The company that installed it came right out - no charge. Immedialtely the dude told me to get rid of all the glade air fresheners in the house. He explained how I was smelling the chemical in the scent being burned. They did say we could get some smells if we did things like paint or varnish etc. The air fresheners did not click until then. Well we got ride of all of them, aired the house out and waited a few weeks. Guess what...still stinks!

So now I am back to thinking those old wive's tales and rumours about vented log sets hold some truth. I am trying to keep an open mind but this time there is nothing I am aware that could be causing the smell. A local friend has a natural gas unvented model and gets no smell. We have propane? Could that have something to do with it?

Any ideas? Could the smell be coming from the black stuff on the inside of the chimeny from where wood was burned by the previous owner? If so what can I do? I'd have cleaned it if they told me this would happen....

It really would be nice to use this sucker for heat. Any ideas are appreciated. Note, this is not smell sensitivity issue. After about 20 minutes with the flu closed the kids and wife come downstairs complaining about the smell. HELP!!!!

Lots of factors at play here. All the usual culprits.

LP can have a bit more smell than nat gas.
The fireplace is probably permeated with all sorts of stuff that is baking out and reacting with the logs
Every single source of outgassing in the home, from the carpet to the kitchen floor to the air fresheners and the furniture polish (and more) is feeding a chemical cocktail soup into those logs. The logs are burning it and then discharging the mess back into the house.

On the good side, the unvented set uses less gas than the vented models. On the other side of the coin, you may never really be able to use it with the damper closed.

Did you try it with the damper only very slightly open?

We can get the damper half closed before the smell arrives. I am really starting to think its something in the fireplace. If the glass doors are closed, and the damper closed and I open one quick and take a wiff, I smell the smell. I wish they had told me this first. I would have tried to clean up this area. Now that the set is in there, it seams unlikley I can do anything.

Ideas?

I lived in an apartment with Humphrey natural gas space heaters.

I couldn't stand the smell.
Not nauseating.
Not like an allergy.
(more like driving through New Jersey) :) just kidding.
My dracenias died.
They told me I would get used to it and not even notice it after a while.
I never did.

luckily I was only there for a year.

I had a gas cooking stove with pilot lights that bothered me after that, too.
electronic ignition solved that.

You should have gotten a direct vent insert....

If you keep the vent free log set make sure you get some GOOD CO detectors. I think "nighthawk" is the brand of choice for a quality CO monitor.

An insert was quoted at $4k...out of our range. If a direct vent insert is something else...what is it and why would it not smell? We have two CO2 detectors.

jtp10181 said:
You should have gotten a direct vent insert....

If you keep the vent free log set make sure you get some GOOD CO detectors. I think "nighthawk" is the brand of choice for a quality CO monitor.

A direct vent insert could be as much as $4k, also could score one installed for like $2500 if you shop around. It would not smell at all because all the combustion air is drawn from outside and all the exhaust goes outside, that's how "direct vent" technology works. Only smell you should ever get is maybe a little burnt dust smell if it has not been used for a while, besides the initial "burn off" odors which only last a couple of long burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.