New VC Defiant vs Original Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
How does the new (or newer) Vermont Castings Defiant compare to the original Defiant - aside from the cleaner burn and glass doors?

Are they the same basic dimensions, heat output, weight, etc - or are they completely different stoves, except for name only?

Did the original Defiant have any refractory material in it like the newer ones?

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

Very different design indeed. The original Defiant had all cast parts, different smoke path, no cat option and no refractory. The latest 2 in 1 model is different again and hopefully more robust.

I'm with BG. From what I've seen it's about like comparing a 71 chevy impala with a 2011 chevy impala. The size of this stove didn't change enough to fit the analogy but the technology did.

pen

Pen and BeGreen are completely correct. Two completely different monsters.

Hopefully the new 2-in1 stove prove to be reliable and durable as it would be a good fit for my needs.

leeave96 said:
How does the new (or newer) Vermont Castings Defiant compare to the original Defiant - aside from the cleaner burn and glass doors?

Are they the same basic dimensions, heat output, weight, etc - or are they completely different stoves, except for name only?

Did the original Defiant have any refractory material in it like the newer ones?

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

Different dimensions. The older Defiant probably had greater output because, I think, it had a bigger firebox. Also, the old Defiant needed an 8" pipe and the new one can run with a 6" (I think the 8" is mandatory if you plan on burning with the doors open in "fireplace" mode").

From what I have heard, the new 2-in-1 Defiant is capable of using less wood than the previous EPA version (not to be confused with the pre-EPA version you are inquiring about).

I am close to buying my first wood stove. I may get an insert such as a Jotul 550, but I prefer a large freestanding stove such as the Jotul F600, the HS Mansfield, and the VC Defiant. I was not originally considering VC at all becasue of very poor reviews of qulaity I have seen online but I looked at the Defiant in a dealer's store and it looked really awesome to me in person--it looked very well made. Perhaps looks can be deceiving? Any advice on those three stoves and which is best overall (I am trying to heat a very large home (about 3400 sq feet on top two floors combined) as much as possible to replace my central gas heat to the extent that I can--wife is confining my wood heat to our family room and not allowing me to put two stoves on opposite ends of the house, which woudl probalby work best). The VC stove seems to have everything I want--its large, nice looking, top loads, is very efficient in cat mode, etc.

Any observations/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bradford

teutonicking said:
I am close to buying my first wood stove. I may get an insert such as a Jotul 550, but I prefer a large freestanding stove such as the Jotul F600, the HS Mansfield, and the VC Defiant. I was not originally considering VC at all becasue of very poor reviews of qulaity I have seen online but I looked at the Defiant in a dealer's store and it looked really awesome to me in person--it looked very well made. Perhaps looks can be deceiving? Any advice on those three stoves and which is best overall (I am trying to heat a very large home (about 3400 sq feet on top two floors combined) as much as possible to replace my central gas heat to the extent that I can--wife is confining my wood heat to our family room and not allowing me to put two stoves on opposite ends of the house, which woudl probalby work best). The VC stove seems to have everything I want--its large, nice looking, top loads, is very efficient in cat mode, etc.

Any observations/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bradford

That's tough to say. None are rated to heat that much space. Can you post some pictures of your floor plan? How drafty is your home?

The F600 has a claimed 3.26 cu ft fire box, which would make it the larger of the three, but I would not be surprised if the Defiant actually held more wood. The Mansfield is the smallest of the three even though the firebox is listed as 3.2 cu ft.

No matter what stove you plan on getting it is important to get your wood now. I mean right now. At least 4 cords. A new stove does not perform well with wet wood.

thanks for your reply. No worries, I have 5 cords of seasoned wood drying in my backyard, so I think I am okay with fuel.

The house is about 40 years old. We replaced most of the windows on the main floor this year so its not drafty there, but upstairs the windows are somewhat leaky. In total its 3600 square feet, which is a lot to heat, but several of the rooms are not often used: dining room, living room, Den (Den can be comepletely shut off), and two of the upstaris bedrooms (these can also can be shut off too). Ideally I'd have an insert in the fireplace in the family room and a wood or pellet stove on opposite side of the house in the living room, but wife will not allow anything in the formal living room or dining room areas. So I'm trying to maximize my heat output in the family room near the existing fireplace and chimney to heat as much of the rest of the house as possible (particularly the family room, kitchen and breakfast areas (which I know will be fine), as well as the three bedrooms upstairs on the master bedroom side of the house.

It would not allow me to attach the floor plan file for some reason (no pdfs allowed; too many pixels on my phone picture). Anyway, its very open in our main living space on the main floor with a family room, breakfast area, and kitchen all totally open in approximately a 40' long x 15' area. The downstairs also has a living room, den, and dining room that are not often used. Upstairs there are 5 bedrooms, but only 3 in frequent use (and doors can be closed on the other two). So probably 200 square feet on main floor and 250 square feet on the 2nd floor can be removed completely (almost 450 square feet total), and another 400 square feet on the main floor would not get as much of that heat (nor would it be needed there) because it would presumably migrate upstairs.

As someone who used an original Defiant for more than 30 years, then switched to a Jotul F600, I would have to say that despite my years of stubborn loyalty to the Defiant, the Jotul is a much superior stove in terms of heat output, wood usage and clean burn. The original Defiant was a truly great stove in it's time, but its time is past.

As for the newest Defiant, it may well prove to be a fine stove, but if it were me, I'd want to have much more of a track record to judge by before committing to one. Except for the top loading feature (?) there are a number of stoves with proven years of durability and effectiveness to choose from, the Jotul being one of them. I would definitely go with one of them rather than take a chance on a so far unproven "Defiant" that may or may not re-establish the name as a premier stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.