New Very Old Farmhouse rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philupthegastank

Dec 10, 2014
90% of the US is below me.
Hi there,

I am new to the forum, but have been scavenging threads for quite some time. I recently bought a 2 story 2400 sq ft farmhouse with 11 acres (half wooded) in northern Wisconsin (zone 4). It is an old farm house and I would like to add a wood stove to bring back that old farm house feel. It also has an oil furnace from the 80s that I would like to replace with a new one. But here is the thing:

I am completely gutting the inside of the house, I bought it as is and the chimney needs a liner. right now the oil furnace is exhausting into the masonry chimney that has no liner. There is duct work that vents into the first floor but there is no duct working going up into the second floor. I have money, just not a ton, so im trying to way my options.

Should i just get the chimney lined for use with the oil furnace (2k), and run duct work into the second floor (1.6k) and forget a wood stove and having to build a second chimney?

or line the chimney with an all fuel liner (2k?) and get a wood/oil combo like the yukon husky (5k) and put more duct work into the second floor (1.6k)?

Having a wood stove would be really great. We are far out and would like a wood stove to heat the house if the power goes out and to be able to heat water on, so i was thinking a VC defiant. The chimney goes up in the center of the house, so the stove would be on the 1st floor, in the middle of the house. for being an older house it is a pretty open floor plan, with an open stair case that goes up to the 2nd floor, the only thing thats really closed off is the kitchen/pantry.

If i have a 12 inch masonry chimney could you vent two separate 6" flues that are rigid or flex in the same chimney?

What are your thoughts on flex vs rigid? Flex is a lot cheaper so im just wondering about it.

Any thoughts or ideas or insights would be great. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.