Q&A new Waterford Trinity--need tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently replaced an outdated, cracked steel Frontier stove with a new Waterford Trinity cast-iron, non-cat stove. While I am burning much less wood, and emitting much less pollution, I can't seem to get my house (1800 sq. ft.) very warm with the new stove. My wood is well seasoned, and I have a straight run of double-wall stovepipe with no draft problems. The double-wall is also new, so maybe I am losing a lot of heat up my pipe that formerly radiated through single-wall into the room? Also, the new stove has a much smaller firebox than the old one, so I can't burn as much fuel at once. Should I try running my stove at a lower air intake after I get a good fire going, or should I keep the intake at maximum to get the most heat? Split my wood smaller? Any suggestions appreciated!

Answer:

First off hang in their, keep using the stove so that you can get used to it. Perhaps the change from a big black box circa 1970's to a more modern stove will take some getting used to. The double wall pipe may have some factor as that is its purpose to to allow for cooler temps off the pipe to provide clearance reductions. Some other things to consider; what type of wood are you burning, is it any different than before,is length of burn somewhere around 8 hours (if less it could indicate either a wood problem or a draft problem), and lastly are you keeping the stove going 24/7 or just building fires in the evening? To discuss this further please email me [email protected]
URL: www.lehmans.com

Status
Not open for further replies.